Vacuum cleaner fire damages apartment

By Mark Bowder, Columbian Assistant Metro Editor

Published:

 

A vacuum cleaner fire caused $25,000 in smoke damage Friday at an apartment in Vancouver, according to the Vancouver Fire Department.

The fire in a unit in the Evergreen Park Apartments, 4619 N.E. 112th Ave., was reported about 8:30 p.m. but had probably occurred hours before, said Joe Spatz, firefighter-spokesman. The fire was limited to the vacuum cleaner and went out long before firefighters were called in.

Heavy smoke from the burning appliance did $20,000 damage to the structure of the apartment and $5,000 damage to the contents, Spatz said.

The apartment was uninhabitable. The occupant, who was at work when the fire occurred, told firefighters she would stay with friends.

Don't Do Stupid Stuff Mugs