Prep roundup: Late goal lifts Mountain View into final eight




Marshall Hartley re-directed a shot from Rylan Berriman with roughly 10 minutes left in the match Tuesday, sending the Mountain View Thunder into the Class 3A state boys soccer quarterfinals.

The Thunder won their eighth match in a row — second of the postseason — with a 2-1 victory over Lakeside of Seattle in the opening round of the state tournament.

“It’s been a good little run,” Mountain View coach Jeff Brooks said. “We had a rough start to the season. That was expected with a young, inexperienced team. The last eight games we’ve really come on strong. We’ve got a good style of play.”

Mountain View beat Decatur, a team that was ranked fourth in the state at the time, in the bi-district match to get to state. Then it was the win over Lakeside, No. 8 in the state.

“Young teams are sometimes too ignorant to know what kind of pressure they’re playing in,” Brooks said.

Mountain View took a 1-0 lead in the first half when Berriman scored off an assist from Ngawang Choephel.

Lakeside tied the match 15 minutes into the second half, before Hartley gave the Thunder the lead for good.

Christian Asividio had eight saves for the Thunder, including three clutch stops in the closing minutes as Lakeside attacked, looking for the equalizer.

Brooks also credited freshman Peter Prescott and sophomore Isaac Strever for their pivotal roles on defense.

Mountain View will face the winner of Wednesday’s match between Blanchet and Camas.


Mercer Island 3, Prairie 0 — Alberto Perez scored twice and assisted on the other, leading Mercer Island to the victory and ending Prairie’s season in the first round of the Class 3A state boys soccer tournament.

“They’re a great team. No doubt about it,” Prairie coach Mike Mikelson told the Seattle Times, referring to the Islanders. “I’d be surprised if they didn’t go pretty far. They’re the best that we’ve seen.”

Fife 6, Washougal 0 — The Panthers came up against a team on a mission. Fife, a Class 2A state finalist a year ago and undefeated this season, scored four second-half goals to cruise past Washougal in the opening round of the 2A state boys soccer playoffs.

Washougal goalkeeper Caleb Howard had eight saves and missed the last 10 minutes of the match with a gash to his head.

While the stay in the state tournament was short, the Panthers made it to the round of 16 for the first time since 2001.


Union 5, Puyallup 2, 8 innings — Parker Bonife’s three-run home run in the top of the eighth inning sent the Titans into the bi-district tournament. Union trailed 2-0 after three innings and did not score until tying the game in the sixth.

Bianca Malone led off the eighth by reaching base on an error, then stole second before Emma Alfonso drew a walk. Courtney Huff’s sacrifice bunt moved both runners into scoring position and set the stage for Bonife’s three-run shot. Bonife also had a double and was 3 for 4 at the plate.

Alfonso pitched a complete game for the win, with three strikeouts and a pair of walks in eight innings.

Union was outhit 10-7 and Titans batters struck out 10 times, seven in the first five innings, but prevailed.

“The girls always seem to turn it on in the sixth inning,” Union coach Alex Perry said. “That’s when we got our first two.”

Union claimed the No. 3 seed for bi-districts and advances to a noon Friday game against Thomas Jefferson at Sprinker Field in Tacoma.


Woodland wins 2A district team title — The Woodland Beavers scored 151 points to top 2A Greater St. Helens League rival Hockinson for the team championship at the 2A District 4 tournament.

Olivia Lowe of North Thurston won the individual title and will lead Southwest Washington’s golfers to state. Lowe scored a 161 for the two-day tournament, 17-over-par.

Woodland’s Sesca Jouwsma (174) and Tia Tsugawa (176) finished second and third. Hockinson has a trio going to state: Kelsey Whiles (183), Laura Morgan (193), and Isabella Koenig (201).

Meanwhile, two La Center golfers advanced to Class 1A state in the 1A district tournament.

Lindsie Snyder finished fifth, and Heather Haasl took eighth for the Wildcats.

Alexis Keating of Elma won the two-day event with a 9-over-par 153.