Reports: 8 dead in Italy's latest 5.8 earthquake
Monday, May 28, 2012
MILAN (AP) -- Italian media say eight people are dead in a magnitude 5.8 earthquake that has shaken northern Italy in the same northern region that was hit by another fatal quake May 20.
The United States Geological Survey said the quake on Tuesday, which struck at 9:00 a.m. local time (0700 GMT), was centered 40 kilometers (25 miles) northwest of the city of Bologna. It hit the area where a 6.0 temblor killed seven people earlier this month.
The news agency ANSA reported that eight people have died and the news agency LaPresse said others were buried under the rubble of collapsed homes and factories.