Fire severely damages Washougal home

By Paul Suarez, Columbian web producer

Published:

Updated: October 1, 2012, 4:10 PM

 
photoAn early-morning fire caused significant damage to the interior of a Washougal home Monday.

()

An early-morning fire caused significant damage to a Washougal house Monday, officials said.

The fire was reported at 1:40 a.m. at 1290 Fairway Drive, east of Washougal High School, according to emergency dispatch logs.

The fire started on the back deck where the homeowner was using a plastic bucket to store cigarette butts, Camas-Washougal Deputy Fire Marshal Randy Miller said. The fire spread into the home’s kitchen and living room area and into the attic, he said.

Firefighters with Camas-Washougal and East County Fire & Rescue responded and quickly knocked down the fire he said.

Damage to the interior of the home is estimated to be somewhere between $75,000 and $100,000. Fire gutted the living room and kitchen area; the rest of the home was damaged by smoke and heat, Miller said. A neighbor’s home was also damaged by radiant heat.

Miller said the home didn’t appear to have working smoke detectors or residential sprinklers.

Two adults escaped the house uninjured.

The ranch home is owned by Lee Lupfer and Elizabeth Allen, according to county property records.