Saturday morning fire damages empty La Center house

By Patty Hastings, Columbian breaking news reporter

Published:

 

Fire severely damaged a vacant house in La Center on Saturday morning.

Around 7:50 a.m. Saturday, 10 volunteer firefighters were dispatched to 7817 N.E. 379th St., where the crew found heavy smoke coming from the house, said Fire District 10 Chief Sam Arola. Upon further inspection, they found flames that were mostly confined to the attic.

The single-story ranch house had a metal roof, so the crew ventilated the structure by knocking out holes at each end of the house. With no nearby fire hydrants, District 10 called upon three water tenders to bring in water to battle the blaze, Arola said.

The volunteer firefighters attacked the fire from inside, getting it under control in about half an hour. An arriving fire marshal suspected the fire was caused by a wiring or heating issue, Arola said.