Firewood blamed for house fire

It displaced Ridgefield-area family of 5



Smoldering firewood was blamed for a Ridgefield-area house fire that displaced a family of five.

A family member had put a piece of firewood into the fireplace, found that it was too big, so put it back into the woodpile on the porch, according to assistant Clark County Assistant Fire Marshal Richard Martin.

That piece of wood smoldered and re-ignited, Martin said, causing the fire at 4117 N.E. 232nd Ave. Sunday night.

The fire started about 10:30 p.m. on a porch and extended into the hallway of the house, causing smoke and fire damage.

Martin estimated the damage to the structure was about $80,000 and about $20,000 worth of damage to the house’s contents.

The family of five was able to stay with relatives, said Clark County Fire & Rescue spokesman Tim Dawdy.