UPDATE: Smoldering fireworks cause garage fire in Village at Fishers Landing

By Emily Gillespie, Columbian Breaking News Reporter



Four injuries reported in two fireworks incidents.

Four injuries reported in two fireworks incidents.

Smoldering fireworks in a garbage can caused a fire that damaged an attached garage and several vehicles inside it at Village at Fishers Landing.

A family had been setting off fireworks earlier in the evening and had gone to bed before the fire broke out sometime before 12:42 a.m., when fire officials were called to 16520 S.E. 34th Way, Vancouver Fire Battalion Chief Rick Steele said. The garbage can was inside the garage.

Firefighters quickly put out the blaze, which caused some smoke damage to the two-story house.

One of the occupants suffered from smoke inhalation, but refused to go to the hospital, Steele said. No other injuries were reported.

Steele said the agency responded to at least one other garbage can that had caught fire because of discarded smoldering fireworks.

Scarpelli said that fire officials patrolled the city Thursday night into Friday morning. Fire officials issued 11 citations, totaling $4,500 in fines, to people who either had illegal fireworks or were violating the curfew law.

According to dispatch records, fire agencies in Clark County received more than 50 reports of bark-dust fires between 8 a.m. July 4 and 8 a.m. July 5. During the same period, dispatchers took more than 140 calls complaining of fireworks noise.

Don't Do Stupid Stuff Mugs