Balky heater prompts school evacuation in Woodland

By Patty Hastings, Columbian Social Services, Demographics, Faith



Woodland Primary School turned a malfunctioning heater into an opportunity to run a fire drill Thursday.

Just after 2 p.m., Clark County Fire & Rescue was dispatched to 600 Bozarth St., where a malfunctioning heater was puffing out smoke, said Battalion Chief Tim Dawdy. There was no hazard, but staff treated the incident as a fire drill and evacuated everyone from the building.

Firefighters simply turned off the heater, Dawdy said.