Man accused in Fruit Valley home invasion, assault




A Vancouver man appeared Friday in Clark County Superior Court on accusations that he invaded a stranger’s home in the Fruit Valley neighborhood, assaulted him with a pistol and threatened to kill him.

Judge John Nichols held Noah J. Alferd, 34, of Vancouver in lieu of $75,000 bail Friday and appointed Vancouver attorney Therese Lavallee to defend him. Alferd is scheduled to be arraigned April 18 on charges of second-degree assault, first-degree burglary and felony harassment.

Court records gave no motive for why Alferd “banged” on the front door of Jarid R. Hyde’s home some time before 6:45 p.m. Thursday, forced his way in and beat Hyde, according to a court affidavit.

“Jarid stated that he has never met Noah before and that Noah did not have permission to be in his house,” said Vancouver police Officer Charlie Ahn in the affidavit.

After the beating, Alferd then pulled out a black pistol, pointed the weapon at Hyde and threatened to kill him, Ahn wrote. Instead, Alferd pistol-whipped Hyde across his head, the officer said. Meanwhile, Hyde’s friend, Marc Luethe, was in the residence’s backyard and didn’t see what happened, according to the affidavit.

Hyde said that when Alferd walked to the back of the house, he ran to a neighbor’s residence in the 2100 block of West 27th Street.

Luethe said he re-entered the house and saw blood all over the carpet, according to the affidavit. Hyde was missing, and Alferd was in the living room, Luethe said.

Luethe asked Alferd what had happened.

Alferd replied that he had just injured Hyde, according to the affidavit.

Police later contacted Alferd and arrested him. Alferd did not provide a statement to police, according to Ahn.

Deputy Prosecutor Kristine Duncan said Alferd has a felony history in Washington, Oregon and Idaho, including methamphetamine possession, battery, resisting, obstructing, theft of a motor vehicle and unlawful possession of a weapon and harassment.