Open forum, June 2-8

Comments

Well, aren't we a lively bunch. Must be the weather.

On Saturday I bought a new Traeger grill. Put it together and "burned it off" then on Sunday we cooked steaks. They were soooo good. Juicy and tender and it only took 25 minutes. I got it at Costco in Aloha, they had one of those events and they knocked $100 off the regular price and threw in a cover worth $50. It was well worth the drive.

Hawkman — June 2, 2014 at 2:11 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Check you mailbox... the slick, pretty flyer, with a rosy cheeked child learning, and smiling residents being employed; all thriving with oil trains running through the city? It's from Tesoro Savage Petroleum, and just in time for tonight's meeting. It does state right on it there will only be 120 full time jobs created for "local workers". 120 workers + 3 photos = 4% of those jobs on an 8x10" flyer.

Not to be all pissy about the technicals, but the last paragraph says "Tell the Council to be patient and allow the permit process to proceed so they have the facts" Really?! They say that after the signed contracts with the Port were already a week old before the Council or the public had a chance to read the redacted copy?

Maybe I'll draw a big fat black circle with a line slashed through it over the shiny orange train engine on the front of the flyer, then staple the whole thing to a little stick...wahlah, instant protest sign.

Actually, I won't be able to be there, dangit, but spouting off about it still feels good.

jacjak — June 2, 2014 at 3:49 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkman: I bought one of those puppies for my husband for Father's Day a couple of years ago. We use it year-round. Try a turkey sometime. Slow smoke a brisket or roast. Meatloaf. Pizza. Yum.

Anyone going to the City Council Hilton meeting tonight? They will be hearing more citizen comment on the proposed Tesoro/Savage oil transfer and storage station. Later, they will be voting on a resolution against it.

manthou — June 2, 2014 at 3:52 p.m. ( | suggest removal

And they only have themselves to blame.

-GOP’s Obamacare fears come true-

nailingit — June 2, 2014 at 9:15 p.m. ( | suggest removal

-I miss Mayberry!-

There was a blogger named lew.

Most folks say he hadn't a clue.

When the paulbots arrived,

He sniveled and cried,

And scurried away feeling blue.

(_8(l)

nailingit — June 2, 2014 at 10:42 p.m. ( | suggest removal

A fundamental difference in opinion here is that I believe anyone has the right to an opinion without being subjected to ridicule. Attack the beliefs, not the person.

roger — June 3, 2014 at 5:29 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Roger(June 1, 2014 at 5:03 p.m.) (prior week), I did contact Lew when I was unable to access the blog. He invited me to join, but the sign up failed to recognize me. I can't be bothered with the games these sites play, so if Lew ever re-opens his blog for everyone, that's when I'll return. I don't have a problem with the lack of access to his site right now. I just gather my losses and move on. There's so many discussion sites out there, it's almost pitiful and I don't have the time any more like I used to. I know, I know...pick and choose wisely..8)

I see the city council FINALLY listened to the people regarding the Tesoro issue but is it a wise decision on their part? The sad truth...the NIMBY attitude will only move it downriver to another county or even another west-coast state, still posing a threat to our region since we have a major railway hub in Vancouver. These trains still have to use our tracks and they will still continue to move through the area and will STILL pose a threat of disaster, even though BNSF is doing all they can to prevent such an issue prior to anything being decided...except for the railway bridge across the Columbia, but that's more than one entity in charge of that bridge. IMO, the region that accepts such a proposal that Tesoro has to offer had better have a strong financial back-up plan in case of emergency.

Nails(June 2, 2014 at 9:15 p.m), did they really have any choice but to agree? I see the issue that Obama wanted to make sure it passed; one of those "Promise and Delivery" presidential proposals and it just happens that when they agreed to it...in the backs of their minds, they knew he'd take it and run with it. He had to have SOMETHING for everyone to remember him by. Relatives of mine who strongly supported Obamacare, swore it would be the best thing since the invention of the wheel...the same relatives who found out their benefits, benefit payments and/or subsidies are not cooperating and they are grumbling and groaning as the insurance companies continue to move at a snails pace. In my opinion regarding the POTUS...this is a shot in the foot memory historical recognition, but I guess he had to start somewhere. His "bosses" insisted this go through and it did. Social Democracy and all it's cracked up to be...so great, eh...;-P

Have a great week everyone!

goldenoldie — June 3, 2014 at 5:50 a.m. ( | suggest removal

roger — June 3, 2014 at 5:29 a.m.

THANK YOU!!!

goldenoldie — June 3, 2014 at 5:51 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Wow, 700 people at a meeting that ended at 1:25 a.m! Way to go, Vancouver!

jacjak — June 3, 2014 at 6:36 a.m. ( | suggest removal

goldenoldie — June 3, 2014 at 5:50 a.m.

"He had to have SOMETHING for everyone to remember him by. Relatives of mine who strongly supported Obamacare, swore it would be the best thing since the invention of the wheel..."
I don't suppose being President for eight years, winding down two wars, environmental policy, a million etceteras. was enough.
About your relatives....I highly doubt it.

roger — June 3, 2014 at 5:29 a.m.

As long as they agree with you, right roger? (Thinking back to the CRC debacle and a million other things)

Sanctimonious to the max.....

Lighten up.

nailingit — June 3, 2014 at 6:59 a.m. ( | suggest removal

jacjak — June 3, 2014 at 6:36 a.m.

Wondering if any basement dwellers made it to the meeting, and what their position is.

nailingit — June 3, 2014 at 7:11 a.m. ( | suggest removal

If I was the enemy, I'd make sure there would be future attacks with some or all five released terrorists linked to it.

This could end up being Obama's legacy...not sure what he was thinking. One of the things I've respected about this president, is that he looks at the big picture, and plays long ball more often than not.

nailingit — June 3, 2014 at 7:41 a.m. ( | suggest removal

goldenoldie — June 3, 2014 at 5:50 a.m.

Alameda Rail Corridor, San Pedro Bay Port Cluster, or Long Beach, CA Port Facility are MAJOR railway hubs. Vancouver is not. All of those MAJOR railway hubs just happen to be even closer to the Bakken oil fields than we are, by the way, and the infrastructure for oil transfer is already standing, plus all are major sea ports. Even the Port of Seattle, another major railway hub, is closer to both the oil and the sea.

jacjak — June 3, 2014 at 7:49 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — June 3, 2014 at 7:41 a.m.

Do you see a difference in this decision by Obama Reagan's decision in the exchange of 7 prisoners for missles to Iran? That gave Reagan the Iran-Contra affair. Obama won't have Reagan's intended plausible deniability, and thankfully so, but in essence these two things look like the other.

jacjak — June 3, 2014 at 7:58 a.m. ( | suggest removal

opps... it should read 'decision by Obama AND Reagan's...'

jacjak — June 3, 2014 at 8:01 a.m. ( | suggest removal

"Do you see a difference in this decision by Obama Reagan's decision in the exchange of 7 prisoners for missles to Iran? That gave Reagan the Iran-Contra affair."

jacjak — June 3, 2014 at 7:58 a.m.

In principle, no. The double standard exhibited by today's GOP is striking. Now they want investigations. They've undermined and cheapened our political process since 2010 like no other. Given the republican mantra of drowning our United States Government in the bathtub, maybe this is their intent all along. Destroy the credibility of process, and you destroy governing. Anti American?

And the mainstream media's message is, and lately a couple in here, is that the real problem is rooted in that we're not listening to the other side, when obviously the bulk of extremist views exist on the right. Once again, blurring the lines to fit an opaque vision of political discourse and process.

Somehow, there always seems to be a strong conservative tinge to this thinking. Always moving the goalposts to the right.

nailingit — June 3, 2014 at 9:16 a.m. ( | suggest removal

"And the mainstream media's message is, and lately a couple in here, is that the real problem is rooted in that we're not listening to the other side,.."
nailingit — June 3, 2014 at 9:16 a.m.

The problem I have with the not listening accusation is that the accusers do not shut up long enough to hear what anyone, no less the other side, is saying. Not to get all conjectural about it, but through the years I've found that Listening is a conscious choice, and a learned skill. And, it requires practice. It does not come automatically, as the requirement to remain silent is overrode by the planning of what to say next is already taking place during the listening. Not sure there's enough there to apply for a study grant, but quite frankly, I see the 'do as I say and not as I do' (a bullying tactic?) in the accusations of not listening, even when the subject is not one of politics. But, I think those that are more philosophically liberal are a proactive bunch... they are always weighting in on, assimilating or rejecting, combining and expanding, or assessing and judging. And, to have all that at play, or even a part at any one time, ultimately requires the taking in of information from somewhere. Not saying liberals are THE listeners, but I do think they are the better listeners. Perhaps fence sitters are also listeners, but usually because they lack the convictions, or convictions are as yet not fully formed, not sure, but it does seem to take a lot for some people to shut up long enough to consider if they could be wrong or not.

After saying all that, I do find it much easier to tune out when someone is screaming or haranguing their point of view at me, or it's so embellished with overstatement or homily that it makes what may have been otherwise plausable not worth the noise or sarcasm.

jacjak — June 3, 2014 at 11 a.m. ( | suggest removal

jacjak — June 3, 2014 at 11 a.m.

I agree with your points about liberals, overall, being better listeners than others, based on personal experience and considering the very definition of a conservative is one to resist change.

My problem with the 'people aren't listening to both sides thing', (many times a red herring imo) is that people do listen, they just fundamentally disagree on much, to include differing ideologies.

Are we to listen to the small fraction of "scientists" who deny man is responsible in large part for climate change? Listen to the warmongers like Cheney? Listen to the Paul Ryans who would privatize everything under corporate control?

It's not that the sides aren't listening to each other, and it's not because we don't completely understand our elected representative's positions.

Many times, it's folks embittered with both parties that propagate this nonsensical diatribe. I have a relative I can associate with this..syndrome. :)

nailingit — June 3, 2014 at 11:27 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Well, it appears those that thought this would be kicked up to Inslee were wrong.

And it appears those that thought otherwise, were correct...:)

Ed Barnes.....A temp till Pridemore.

This will be great entertainment.

Lets see if Ed's opinions are respected and he is spared ridicule. :))

nailingit — June 3, 2014 at 1:57 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Nail isn't there a old saying, keep your friends close and your enemy's closer.

timerick — June 3, 2014 at 2:05 p.m. ( | suggest removal

timerick- Never a truer saying. But M&M; have so many! Should be quite a ride. Lou B has to be loving this one.

Go get em' Ed!

nailingit — June 3, 2014 at 2:08 p.m. ( | suggest removal

They knew they would have to pick someone or look weak for not doing it. They picked Ed as the lesser of three evils and the weakest of the three. Good for Ed. I hope he causes them more headaches and heartburn than they can stand. We should all send him a truck load of vitamins and Red Bull.

Hawkman — June 3, 2014 at 2:30 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Clark County could replenish the General Fund coffers by selling tickets to the BOCC meetings for the duration of Ed's tenure there. He'll be sworn in just in time for the C-Tran Board meeting, too.

I hope he knows how to use email. :)

Looking forward to watching Eddie in action.

manthou — June 3, 2014 at 3:24 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Nailingit - I agree that this was a very bad move for President Obama. Releasing 5 very dangerous terrorists for a soldier that went AWOL by his own decision. 6 soldiers were killed looking for this guy. Many more may be killed with these terrorists out. Meanwhile, decorated Marine Tahmooressi sits in a Mexican jail and mums the word from the White House. As a mom with two kids on active duty, it makes me very angry. I

Glad to see Ed will bring some balance to the county.

Woosker — June 3, 2014 at 5 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Bergdahl's team leader, Sgt Evan Buetow also states that on the night Bergdahl vanished from his base in Afghanistan the military intercepted radio communications shortly after his disappearance indicating that an American was searching for someone who spoke English so he could talk with the Taliban. He went on to say "When we heard that, we knew he was actively seeking out the Taliban" and, yes, over the next couple months, all the attacks were far more directed.. There's a lot more to this story than a soldier walking away - Bergdahl is not a hero, he is a deserter" stated Buetow.

Woosker — June 3, 2014 at 5:24 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Woosker — June 3, 2014 at 5:24 p.m.

I really haven't kept up on this but that statement sounds like a rumor to me.

"When we heard that, we knew he was actively seeking out the Taliban"

More supposition, it wouldn't hold up in court.

Could it be that he was snatched in the middle of the night and forced to cooperate?

Just a thought.

Hawkman — June 3, 2014 at 5:52 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawk - Yes, Buetow even stated that. He has no way to prove the connection between the attacks and Bergdahl going AWAL. However, the radio transmissions of him seeking out the Taliban are very suspicious.

Woosker — June 3, 2014 at 6:05 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawk - Also, google articles on some of the tweets that Bergdahl's father posted in the last couple days.

Woosker — June 3, 2014 at 6:07 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Does anyone remember Robert Garwood? They made a movie about him, The Last POW, I think. That was Vietnam but it took until somewhere in the 1990's for the Defense Dept to change is status to AWOL/Deserter/Collaborator. And, yet they're still not sure what happened. They've never provided evidence, just a lot of conflicting testimony.

Don't know if this guy Burgdahl is a deserter, but the rumors are condemning him so fast we may never find out the truth. Is it because Obama made the deal? It just slays me that some are so willing to condemn in order to have one more cut, out of thousands, on Obama. How did all these American citizens know so much about Burgdahl, anyway? And why is it they never spoke up til this week? But, both Garwood and Burgdahl started as soldiers. That's the part that keeps jabbing at me to not leap to conclusions... they started out as soldiers. Does PTSD take place exclusively upon arriving home? Do we abandon guys now because of what we suspect? Every soldier that's ever been caught, snatched, ambushed, or otherwise compromised, expects his country to not leave him or forget about him. I'm conflicted about all this; our son did two tours in Afghanistan, but why should it have to be personal in order to expect the military to do what they say they do... not leave a soldier behind? The debate will rage for years, but dear lord, let's not make it about trying to gain another chit against Obama.

jacjak — June 3, 2014 at 6:41 p.m. ( | suggest removal

OK, now I KNOW he's a whack job!!!

Instead, Madore advocates letting TriMet take over the proposed BRT service area between Portland and downtown Vancouver.

Is he CRAZY? First he fights Light Rail and now he wants to allow Tri-Met operate their buses here? Next you know, they'll want to take over all bus business here and then we'll be annexed. Seriously, Tri-Met is just like Comcast, the rates go up every 6 months.

Hawkman — June 3, 2014 at 7:15 p.m. ( | suggest removal

jacjak — June 3, 2014 at 6:41 p.m.

See, that's what i mean. You hit the nail on the head.

Hawkman — June 3, 2014 at 7:16 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkman — June 3, 2014 at 7:15 p.m.

Okay hawk...make sure you're sitting down because I don't want you to go into shock, here...

Regarding your post @7:15 pm...I actually agree with what you are saying if that is his true intent. Is this where I can safely say...there's a reason why I didn't vote for the guy?!? Yeah, he has a personable trait, but I always feel like he's got something up his sleeve. Must be my gut instinct. He sounds like a control freak to me.

The people of Clark County cannot afford the likes of an entity such as TriMet to take over our existing service...EVER!!!

It would be a terrible error of judgment by those in charge.

goldenoldie — June 3, 2014 at 7:44 p.m. ( | suggest removal

jacjak — June 3, 2014 at 6:41 p.m.
Hawkman — June 3, 2014 at 5:52 p.m.

We discussed this a few days ago. I stated then and I state it again, we need to wait before we judge. We do not know the details. Seems to me he was a prisoner of the Taliban. Don't you think they would have paraded an American who came over willingly?

Either way, the nutjobs and conspiracy loonies are in total overdrive now. Rumors flying - Obama to be faulted for everything, bla bla. That they were all in favor until now to get this guy out is completely forgotten. Attacking his dad for growing a beard is shameless (That of course would be Fox News). And so on, und so weiter.
Good grief, wait til the debriefing until you start on this crap. (not meaning anybody here)

luvithere — June 3, 2014 at 8:20 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Well good for the City of Vancouver. They are all against the transfer station at the port. Reasons? Too many trains, danger around every corner of track, it could disturb the pretty white and shiny new development at the waterfront, etc.

Well guess what Vancouver, NONE of those things are going to change if they build downstream. The trains are still going to travel down those tracks, you can't stop it and BNSF won't. It's money and money talks.

Hawkman — June 3, 2014 at 8:47 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Woosker — June 3, 2014 at 5 p.m.

Hey woosker. It seems bad for a few reasons. Bergdahl's alleged behavior has become the focal point, rather than the act of turning over 5 top tier international terrorist masterminds. I imagine they'll reflect quite a bit on their Gitmo experiences at their next Al-Qaeda soirée.

Bergdahl's behavior aside, this doesn't seem smart. Certainly our Commander In Chief is in the know more than we, but man, this doesn't seem to add up. We couldn't have run Ops and extracted him at some point? We were able to find Bin Laden but we can't locate an Army Sergeant? I understand it's apples and oranges, but still...six good men went down looking for this guy and no prize.

I understand our goal is not to leave anyone behind, but at what cost?

For whatever reason, accounts from troops interviewed in Rolling Stone aren't getting the respect they should. This magazine brought down McChrystal with hard edged reporting.

Again I'll say, if Bergdahl is a victim in all this, he should be given respect and a proper homecoming. If he's guilty of defecting and aiding the enemy, he should be court martialed and punished with extreme prejudice. (I dig that phrase and I got to use it again!:)

roger said something last week I thought was spot on when he referenced the troops lack of/or reaction to this. Boots on the ground know what's up more times than not. I remember the visceral reaction many troops had when Jessica Lynch's rescue and story came out. So much BS. (I suppose we should have had a House Investigation over that one)

When there is this much smoke, most likely there's fire.

As with most here, I've paid attention to politics for quite awhile. I like Obama overall, but I know what Presidents are capable of doing to deflect attention from a scandal. (especially in an election year) I remember Prez Cllnton's missile attacks on Sudan/Afghan targets to deflect from the Monica thing. Hopefully the VA problem isn't wading into this. Curious timing.

I'd say the truth will come out......but who knows.

Anyway...

A shout out to your kids Woosk. A THANK YOU! And may they be unharmed while defending our country.

nailingit — June 3, 2014 at 9:26 p.m. ( | suggest removal

I don't consider the soldiers that served with him nutjobs and loons. The soldiers are where they are getting this information, not right wing crazies. When Diane Feinstein comes out and says the President of the United States broke the law by swaping 5 terrorists, you know there is a problem. A little research into the disturbing events would be good before the name calling starts.

Woosker — June 3, 2014 at 9:31 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Nail - Agree with everything you said and thank you so very much for your kind words. If he went AWOL as the other soldiers state, then it makes me very angry that 6 soldiers died looking for this guy. No doubt that many other military members died in the pursuit and capture of these 5 terrorists. For me it has nothing to do with party or the President - It has to do with our sons and daughters who fight the noble cause to keep us safe only to be betrayed for politics for a possible traitor. (Bergdahl) I was watching CNN tonight and they had a reporter on from the Washington Post that indicated the special forces had his location pretty much pinned down and decided not to go after him since they thought he was collaborating with the enemy.

Woosker — June 3, 2014 at 9:38 p.m. ( | suggest removal

To a man, every soldier in Berg's unit called him a deserter. That MEANS something, ppl. THEY WERE THERE. We weren't.

Trading 5 of the Taliban's top for him is simply NOT in the interests of the USA. It could well be in SOMEONE'S interest, but not the country's.

"Luv" maybe you should listen with unbiased ears to some of Fox's reporting....There are those who support Obama's actions (basically, the argument is along the lines of 'countries who value human life are ALWAYS the losers in these exchanges') to the obviously-right-wing likes of Hannity (few, btw), you will get information to follow up on and to think about.

I not only read Huffpo, I read Pravda, Der Spiegel, right-wing and left-wing thinkers. The only requirement I have is for their THINKING be reasoned and supported by FACTS.

Try it sometime. It's very liberating.

ROGER: You have any opinion on the 'prisoner transfer'?

DeeLittle — June 3, 2014 at 9:52 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Here is a look at the Taliban 5. They look like nice guys. I'm sure there terrorist ways are behind them. They probably won't be any threat to our country or the men and women that serve in our armed forces.

Woosker — June 3, 2014 at 9:56 p.m. ( | suggest removal

When Diane Feinstein comes out and says the President of the United States broke the law by swaping 5 terrorists, you know there is a problem--Woosker — June 3, 2014 at 9:31 p.m

WOOSKER:
She's a Dem I'd vote for (and that's a HIGH compliment, lemme tell ya!).

She was reacting to O's claim that (it makes me kinda nauseous just to repeat it here) he DID 'inform Congress' ... TWO YEARS AGO. When even party loyalists slam you, TAKE THE HINT!.

DeeLittle — June 3, 2014 at 10:01 p.m. ( | suggest removal

And closer to home===

"The terms of the settlement are neutral about the case itself. The county does not admit wrongdoing, a common settlement provision." Of course the fact that they are paying her $250k means nothing.

"Clark County has agreed to pay Anita Largent $250,000, so long as she steps down as the Department of Environmental Service's division manager for sustainability and outreach." They should have made them fire Benton as part of the settlement and hired legally.

Hawkman — June 3, 2014 at 10:07 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Last week, luvit made mention of something we tend to forget about, the supposed closing of Gitmo. We're way past due on that one, and one can't lay the blame solely at Obama's feet for it.

I echo that we need to close Gitmo- yesterday. Although I question if Obama really wants it closed, Congress is pathetic in not letting this happen.

I mean, can anyone think of a more appropriate fate than these guys serving time in an American prison? Let them stand trial here, and let the international shaming of America over Gitmo cease. And to the innocents that we're housing and torturing without any due process, let them live their lives out in luxury, in their hometowns 8000 miles away in the sand. Give em' each a mill and hope to hell we didn't create another terrorist.

A lot of political capital, as if Obama had any, was spent on this Bergdahl trade. To include further delays on Gitmo.

I'm just sick of wars and the reasons we fight them. Enough is enough.

nailingit — June 3, 2014 at 10:13 p.m. ( | suggest removal

FWIW..........

i told a friend that i pray after i vote; "God, may Your will be done".

she asked me if i voted for obama, i said 'no'.

she then said that, if i believe my prayers are heard, obama was God's choice.

i told her that God's will is larger than just who wins. I guess my prayer was granted: How else would we know SO COMPLETELY and SO OBVIOUSLY how corrupt and evil our DC gvt has really become?

it's up to us now. do we clean house...return DC to SOME semblance of integrity and honor after seeing just HOW corrupt and power-hungry its' become, or do we play WITHIN THE SYSTEM and fight for OUR OWN POWER TO BE GREATER THAN OUR ENEMY'S;

i can EASILY join with dem's, lib's, prog's, conserv's, libertarians...ANYBODY who wants to protect and defend THE CONSTITUTION. everything else is just minor details.

DeeLittle — June 3, 2014 at 10:20 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Using corruption as a scale, I'll take this administration over any we've had since Carter.

I wish we would have seen 1/10 the measure of conservative indignation and outrage for supposed failings during the Bush years as we're seeing with Obama. Then maybe the Bush/Cheney clan would have been held to a higher standard.

Let us not forget the Ungodly mess Obama had to clean up, just to get to a reasonable baseline.

nailingit — June 3, 2014 at 10:57 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Woosker, I was not referring to any soldiers when I spoke of nut jobs, got to clarify that. We got plenty of loons not military affiliated spouting off.
And no, Dee, I think not. I get plenty of news from many different sources but Fox ain't on the list. Not for real news. I catch a few minutes just to get even more disgusted with their lies and distortions. How anybody can swallow that stuff on a regular basis and think it resembles facts is beyond me.

luvithere — June 3, 2014 at 11:14 p.m. ( | suggest removal

I get plenty of news from many different sources but Fox ain't on the list. Not for real news. I catch a few minutes just to get even more disgusted with their lies and distortions. How anybody can swallow that stuff on a regular basis and think it resembles facts is beyond me. luvvithere — June 3, 2014 at 11:14 pm

LISTEN WITH OBJECTIVE EARS, luv. when a news source, whether i agree or not, gives sources for it's conclusions, I GO TO THE SOURCE. i decide whether to accept or refuse their conclusions based on FACTS SUPPORTED.

do you?

DeeLittle — June 4, 2014 at 12:51 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkman — June 3, 2014 at 7:15 p.m. / goldenoldie — June 3, 2014 at 7:44 p.m.

Madore is thinning his flock to accommodate the most faithful. He's livin' on a prayer. I don't know if he's more self serving, or more disconnected. A toss up?

The rabid right will have a difficult time pointing a finger at the Hill. She was deeply involved in Bergdalh trade negotiations in the past and had a hardline approach. Interesting stuff that I'm sure will be dissected in the months to come.

-Hillary Clinton Was Skeptical of Taliban-Bergdahl Swap-

nailingit — June 4, 2014 at 8:47 a.m. ( | suggest removal

DeeLittle — June 4, 2014 at 12:51 a.m.
YES DEE, I DO.
But Fox is not it.

luvithere — June 4, 2014 at 8:49 a.m. ( | suggest removal

I came across this site today. :) People fighting against the republican propaganda machine known as 'Fox News'.

nailingit — June 4, 2014 at 9:26 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Wow it's great to see all the Obstructionist Liberals here. Lets see if ED BARNES can causes more headaches and heartburn.. Now that's getting the job done... He is a Curmudgeon without team skills. The M&M; boys most likely picked ED so he would embarrass himself...Hope he can stay awake at some of these late meetings.
I thought it was disgustfull to see the president march out with the senior Bergdahl's at the WH and then say Bowe served with Honor.. How Lame can our President get. He just slapped in the face every vet who was discharged Honorably. My two sons who are and have served are disgusted as well...Both served in Afghanistan and believe Bowe should be given a review of how he became a "prisoner".. It seems quite obvious at this point given the information from his own platoon mates that he simply deserted. How many more Scandals will this President come under in his last couple years as President... Oh he will also say that he heard it first from the news. He is so out of touch... Embarrassing is the word.

vanwadreamer — June 4, 2014 at 11:22 a.m. ( | suggest removal

I've read Bowe was actually a CIA operative and his mission was...
Oop, I've said too much already.
Mums the word.
Loose lips...
Two can share a secret...

;^)

Drift — June 4, 2014 at 11:51 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Obstructionist Liberals?

Just what are "we" obstructing? Oh yea, we are stopping the County from collecting taxes on the sale of pot ---- no, wait --- that was Madore and Meilke.

OK, we are hiring people to do jobs that they aren't qualified to do and bypassing people that ARE qualified and instead having to pay the qualified people $250K because we screwed up, no wait, Madore and Meilke AGAIN.

Let's see here, oh yea, we are trying to get Tri-Met to cross the bridge and be our bus company, taking business away from C-Tran --- Damn, that was Madore too.

Sorry Vanwa, what was it "we' were obstructing again?

Hawkman — June 4, 2014 at 3:06 p.m. ( | suggest removal

One has to wonder about the team around Obama. Do they tell him what's going on or do they leave him in the dark? Does anyone say "it might not be a good idea to say her served with honor and distinction"

Andrea Mitchell cornered Deputy national security advisor Tony Blinken in an interview. “Why did Susan Rice say he served with honor and distinction?” Mitchell asked. “It was clear to the military as soon as he left what had happened, according to his former fellow soldiers?”

Mitchell didn’t let up, questioning how the United States can be assured that the five top-level Taliban prisoners released from Gitmo will remain in Qatar and not participate in command and control operations remotely.

Blinken stressed the commitments received from the government of Qatar.

But Tony, with all due respect, these were listed as ‘forever prisoners,’” Mitchell pushed back. “These are guys that were not ever cleared for release because of their high rank.”

So they’ve been in Guantanamo — they were in Guantanamo — for 13 years,” Blinken replied. “And precisely because we have the assurances that we need from the government of Qatar .

Well that is reassuring. Glad to see the administration places the trust of our secuirty with Qatar. Fabulous.

The Obama administration is playing checkers while the terrorists play chess.

Woosker — June 4, 2014 at 3:57 p.m. ( | suggest removal

The boy is back in town and look who he is targeting:

manthou — June 4, 2014 at 4:58 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Manthou, looks like he finally wised up to Madore's real character.

luvithere — June 4, 2014 at 5:07 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Yes, luvithere. Lifting Waters' material to use as his own speaks for itself. I'd expose it, too. I'd be pissed. No sense in holding back.

Madore's actions, his behavior, his words are his own worse enemy. All one has to do is observe and describe what he does objectively.

More to come on this politician. This is probably just the tip of the iceberg.

We all have been crying for an issue to rally around in Clark County, no matter what the party affiliation (or not). Exposing Madore's character might be it. Exposing who he funds is another.

Count me in.

manthou — June 4, 2014 at 5:40 p.m. ( | suggest removal

New blogger in town, folks. This person likes to be called "I Tinker."

He is the one who is attacking Lew Waters and praising David Madore.

David Madore has been described to me once as a "tinker."

Could our favorite commish (well, my favorite commish) be this shadow blogger?

manthou — June 4, 2014 at 5:51 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Nice to see Lew has come to his senses. Sorry it took so long.

Hawkman — June 4, 2014 at 5:58 p.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou — June 4, 2014 at 5:51 p.m.

Nope, it ain't him. This guy is another player. Could be Berrigan. His writing isn't as self absorbed as Madore's would be.

Hawkman — June 4, 2014 at 6:10 p.m. ( | suggest removal

You know, I really do not agree with Lew's politics. I agree with him about the bridge fiasco, but that's how far as it goes.

But this new blog "LW Watch" is just wrong. He is entitled to blog, agree or not. Just don't read it. But to start a new blog with that title just to attack him? I call baloney. Right up there with Madore's shenanigans. Just bad form over all.

I hope this charter goes through and we get modern. A big county with three commissioners (well, 2), with all the power and say to control a whole county. They need their wings clipped a little. We need two more to balance this. Nothing wrong with a county administrator - that's how many counties are run.

luvithere — June 4, 2014 at 6:55 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkman — June 3, 2014 at 7:15 p.m.,

Very odd. Maybe Madore forgot that a lot of us don't want Metro on our side of the river?

roger — June 4, 2014 at 7:24 p.m. ( | suggest removal

DeeLittle — June 3, 2014 at 9:52 p.m.

The only opinion I have is what I voiced the other day - I'm pretty certain the troops on the ground aren't happy about the exchange.

I will say that if his court martial trial (I presume one will be held) supports that he WILLINGLY provided info that led to attacks on his unit, then he better ask for a death penalty. His life in Leavenworth will be pure hell. (But I thought the same about Manning's chances - and then he gets to play the gender identity card and get moved.)

roger — June 4, 2014 at 7:31 p.m. ( | suggest removal

luvithere: I so agree. This charter is critical to protecting Clark County from more of this unilateral governing. Hope some Republicans and Independents see it, too, and help get it passed.

roger: Madore has forgotten many things. That Metro business makes no sense. He treats good people as if they were disposable. He insults and accuses his political colleagues and then acts wounded when they don't rubber stamp his ideas.

Hawkeye: I see your point. The more I read this I Tinker stuff, the less it sounds like Madore. Unless, of course, he hired his own ghost writer:

manthou — June 4, 2014 at 7:36 p.m. ( | suggest removal

I'm inclined to agree it's Berrigan. But I think Lea Ortiz is right in suspecting Madore of funding him. Consider that Madore will run to whoever he thinks will most likely oppose the home rule charter - and that's the East side Liberty Alliance (Libertarian) crowd.

I think Lew needs to reassess some of the people he's given support to - to include Lynda Wilson and Liz Pike. And (sadly) Ann Rivers is also appearing much too chummy with Liz lately. Hopefully she hasn't decided to throw in with that crowd.

And another observation - Not to speak for him, but I'm thinking Lew might observe that it's The Forum that's finally come to our senses. I've been trying to make a point that there are different types of conservatives, and that this East side Bible thumping Christian Taliban who claim everyone else isn't conservative enough are the real enemy - not the Lew Waters, Carolyn Crains, et.al.

roger — June 4, 2014 at 8:02 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Meilke might not know much but he knows when to cut and run.

Now Madore is going hard against C-Tran. Maybe that's what started this thing with Tri-Met. Who knows. I'll tell you what, he has really overstepped.

Hawkman — June 4, 2014 at 8:35 p.m. ( | suggest removal

I actually forced myself to read Lew's writes.....You guys are taken with this?

His recent writes sound paranoid and choppy. Looking around every corner for something wrong. Extremely petty stuff and......his writes being stolen by Madore...seriously? C'mon guys. Seriously. Think about it.

Some might be drawn in because he's targeting the county clown no one likes. You only have one soul. Try not to sell it.

Take four hits of Ibuprofen and objectively read his latest rants. Crazy stuff.

Of course there are different factions of conservatives. This is nothing new on the right. But now they are openly warring factions...as a Dem..I appreciate it and more power to them. Draw the curtain back.

I have to say that Berrigan, Decker, Sharples and many others present themselves decently and make a solid case for conservatism. If soap opera, name calling and pettiness are a prime desire (they are with me) than Lew is your huckleberry. Best entertainment blog around.

As I've said before, it's not about choosing what's bias or not, it's about quality of content.

He ran away, but I'm glad he's back!

Mayberry BFD!

nailingit — June 4, 2014 at 10:10 p.m. ( | suggest removal

"And another observation - Not to speak for him, but I'm thinking Lew might observe that it's The Forum that's finally come to our senses."

Anyone else feel like you've just been transported into an alternate universe?

nailingit — June 4, 2014 at 10:33 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Republicans can rest assured their leadership is gearing up for 2016.

-Bobby Jindal heads to 'Duck Dynasty' premiere-

A crew filmed the governor giving the Robertson family, who own the Duck Commander business in West Monroe, an award for “entrepreneurial excellence.”

Jindal, a likely 2016 candidate for president, and Robertson both spoke at the Republican Leadership Conference in New Orleans last week.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/06/bobby-jindal-duck-dynasty-premiere-107442.html#ixzz33k0Tty00

nailingit — June 4, 2014 at 10:51 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Nails - You do a good job of picking out a small part of a comment and making it fit your agenda, don't you? But you've made it perfectly clear you are on one of the fringes - No middle ground and no room for compromise. It's because of Democrats like you that I found myself voting for an occasional Repub over the past 10 or so years.

roger — June 5, 2014 at 5:37 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit: I think Lew Waters' exposing Madore's apparent plagiarism is an interesting development and is a signal of a trend: even Madore supporters are backing away from him for a variety of reasons.

Not one comment in defense of Madore on the recent article in The C. He has the right to ask for a special audit and oversight of any public agency. But it appears he plastered his complaint with allegations against specific persons that were not well-substantiated. It is as if his email probe at C-Tran hopes to provide that evidence. He accuses first, then hopes to dig up the dirt he needs later. That is very irresponsible and can seriously harm good people who are trying to do their jobs.

I looked at the latest C-Tran audits, released about May 22. No findings. There was a statement that declared C-Tran has been audited yearly and there have been no findings since 1996. The auditor is still investigating Madore's allegations. We'll see what comes up.

manthou — June 5, 2014 at 5:42 a.m. ( | suggest removal

I am so hungry to find common ground on any issue. Locally, it might be the charter. One can hope.

manthou — June 5, 2014 at 5:49 a.m. ( | suggest removal

roger: About Liz Pike, the Wilsons, Silliman and Ann Rivers and the charter. We know that Pike, Tracy Wilson, and Peter Silliman were the only Freeholders to vote against it.

Ann Rivers was absent (allegedly due to a family emergency).

According to a post by Nan Henricksen on C3G2, Ann told her she would have voted for the charter had she been able to attend the final Freeholder meeting.

I am not buying it yet.

I wait to see how enthusiastically Rivers campaigns for the charter. This may sound cruel, but I suspected she stayed away that night for political reasons. She knew they had enough yes votes to pass it and her not taking a stand one way or the other in public keeps 'em guessing where she officially stands. She is going to piss off supporters on both sides of the charter issue no matter what she declares. Lose/Lose.

It is my cynicism at play here. I will send Rivers a personal apology when I see her standing shoulder-to-shoulder with Henricksen and not Pike, in publicly supporting the charter.

manthou — June 5, 2014 at 6:45 a.m. ( | suggest removal

"It's because of Democrats like you that I found myself voting for an occasional Repub over the past 10 or so years."

roger — June 5, 2014 at 5:37 a.m.

Glad to contribute diversity to your voting forefront roger.

Assuming you have a solid history of voting, that's a helluva long time to vote party line.

You've assigned me a fringe!

Cool..:)

nailingit — June 5, 2014 at 7:02 a.m. ( | suggest removal

"roger: I vote across party lines and would bet that even nailingit has at least once or twice in his voting life. Maybe we can get him to admit it?"

manthou — June 5, 2014 at 5:49 a.m.

Many times manthou, I've voted both Republican and Libertarian for POTUS in years past, (I've talked about that in here) as well as local.

And I seem to be in the liberal minority when it comes to this Bergdahl thing and some other issues.

Pretty harsh statement. Maybe roger can elucidate. :)

Having said that, I'm a registered democrat and vote that way most of the time. Republicans have gotten too extreme, and Dem candidates more times than not, represent my outlook.

nailingit — June 5, 2014 at 7:18 a.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou — June 5, 2014 at 5:42 a.m.

I thought the Waters piece was petty and self serving, paranoid bordering on the delusional. To be fair, I suspect you agree with that a little?

I suspect if Madore lifted video or writes from Lew he wasn't expecting them to be treasured by anyone. Why is Lew whining about this now? At least he's done pouting for awhile and will carry on with his good works.

He's gone over the edge with this C-TRAN thing, it'll be interesting to see who follows him down to the bottom.

"To a dwindling few, this nutjob may still be a hero. I think he is a hypocrite politician who is heading for a hard fall."

Ditto.

nailingit — June 5, 2014 at 7:29 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit: Well, I am not as harsh about Lew's latest blog posts about Madore. Granted, that could be due to my extreme distrust of Madore: remember my "confirmation bias" lectures?

I am guilty of that.

I was disturbed at the apparent blatant plagiarism of Waters' work by a rich, powerful politician. So I think Waters' exposing it is not whining.

You have to stand up when you have been harmed. To remain silent is to imply no wrongdoing.

I am a First Amendment purist (you know it comes from my DAR heritage). Even offensive speech is protected. But, in Waters' defense, this latest round of posts is not offensive to me. It is simply one guy trying to defend himself against Goliath.

Many people fear Madore, for good reason. Anyone who stands up to the guy, eye to eye, is OK in my book.

What happened to Lew Waters can happen to me and you and any of us: someone tries to chill our First Amendment freedoms by a barrage of poison. It worked for awhile because Waters' pulled his blog down. No one has such thick skin as to not be hurt. Glad it is back up. The more variety of opinion that is expressed in Clark County, the more honest our government will likely be.

All this and still a card-carrying evil Democrat, though, nailingit. Hope I am still welcome. :)

manthou — June 5, 2014 at 8:02 a.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou — June 5, 2014 at 8:02 a.m.

No issues here manthou. But we'd better start using the secret handshake.

I think as with the PCO ruse, this is petty. Granted, my mind goes numb when I read more than a few sentences of Lew's writes, and my agendized liberal connecters stop transferring information. :)

Maybe you have some valid points. As with consuming something frigid cold too fast and getting brain freeze, maybe I'll reread in small doses. Oh the pain-Oh the pain!

I'm glad he's back up also. If not for diversity of opinion, for diversity of entertainment. I'd love to hear Temple assess some of Lew's writes!

nailingit — June 5, 2014 at 8:32 a.m. ( | suggest removal

I think Lew has a great deal of respect for Temple, nailingit. And maybe vice-versa. That does not mean he would be exempt from her satiric pen.

manthou — June 5, 2014 at 8:41 a.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou — June 5, 2014 at 8:41 a.m

I would guess he doesn't. Maybe he's expressed respect in the past, I don't know. Lew not only disrespects, but denigrates leftists, liberals, libertarians and all others who disagree with him, and silences opposing opinion on his blog. I doubt that local repubs will spend any more time trying to reason with him.

I think that is his main attraction for his followers. They associate with his frustration. It's easy to point fingers at both parties, blame others for the world's woes and not assume responsibility for party support. Rather than fixing anything...just point.

Anyway, with his recent convert and spouse, his blog will not lack for comment.

nailingit — June 5, 2014 at 9:05 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Nail you and Manthou got me to go read Lew's blog. If what he says is true that Madore is the money man behind the local GOP than I would say that if you are a moderate Repub you would be wise to move away from them. I can't figure why our local GOP has moved so far to the right. From talking to some of my more conservative friends, it looks like they are losing support that they once had. On the other side it looks like Moeller is losing some his liberal supporters that he once had. People want moderation and they want to see both sides work together. We need both to make this world work. Extremes from either side do nothing but push people away.

timerick — June 5, 2014 at 1:37 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Madore is really getting blasted on his C-Tran story. Only one guy seems to want to support him but I don't think he understands what's going on. Michelle Wollert seems to have a pretty good handle on the subject. I'd like to see the email he sent to Seattle. As far as I'm concerned, it's all sour grapes and he's a whiny baby.

Hawkman — June 5, 2014 at 1:49 p.m. ( | suggest removal

"...if you are a moderate Repub you would be wise to move away from them."

timerick — June 5, 2014 at 1:37 p.m.

Hey timerick. If I'm understanding correctly, my opinion would be yes and no on that.

If local republicans have shifted right, they and the process would be well served if moderate to liberal (there used to be such a thing) republicans would challenge them in the arena of ideas. We need stable republicans (if there is such a thing:) to reel the extremists in.

If local republicans such as LW, although extremist in his own right, would participate in the process instead of dropping out and running from it, we'd be better off.

It takes a degree of courage to work within the process, and challenge those whose ideological differences rub against the grain. It's too easy to cut & run, then whine about those who are going about their party business.

The over wrought old school conservatism of RW LW represents (stereo-typed Limbaugh dittoheads) is fading by the wayside, and unfortunately compassionate conservatism seems to be a thing of the past.

Republicans are either trying to find their way or digging their heels in deeper. The world is changing. I think those with more of a progressive point of view find it easier to adapt to than those with a conservative mindset.

The rhetoric coming from various right wingers is fascinating. Which schoolyard bully will play 'king of the hill' this week?

nailingit — June 5, 2014 at 3:03 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Nail I think our King of the hill will still be Madore. I understand his disdain for C-Tran. I don't think to much of those that are running it either. If they are doing shady things which I do believe they have done. It will catch up with them soon. I find it odd that a person can't be progressive and also be conservative. I see being a conservative as being watchful of how our tax dollars are collected and spent. I don't mind paying tax's if I can see the benefit where it helps us all. But I want it spent wisely. We have to be progressive in our lives or we start going backwards. Does that make any sense?

timerick — June 5, 2014 at 3:29 p.m. ( | suggest removal

timerick — Absolute sense.

Ever think about running for office?

nailingit — June 5, 2014 at 3:36 p.m. ( | suggest removal

This SO eighties.......this is how we move backwards.

-Texas GOP Platform Draft Endorses Gay Conversion Therapy-

A draft of the Texas Republican Party's new platform embraces gay conversion therapy, arguing that it is a viable option for "patients who are seeking escape from the homosexual lifestyle."

[Homosexuality must not be presented as an acceptable alternative lifestyle, in public policy, nor should family be redefined to include homosexual couples. We believe there should be no granting of special legal entitlements or creation of special status for homosexual behavior, regardless of state of origin. Additionally, we oppose any criminal or civil penalties against those who oppose homosexuality out of faith, conviction, or belief in traditional values. We recognize the legitimacy and value of counseling which offers reparative therapy and treatment to patients who are seeking escape from the homosexual lifestyle. No laws or executive orders shall be imposed to limit or restrict access to this type of therapy.]

nailingit — June 5, 2014 at 4:25 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Well, here's a twist, if you believe FOX

U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl at one point during his captivity converted to Islam, fraternized openly with his captors and declared himself a "mujahid," or warrior for Islam, according to secret documents prepared on the basis of a purported eyewitness account and obtained by Fox News.

The reports indicate that Bergdahl's relations with his Haqqani captors morphed over time, from periods of hostility, where he was treated very much like a hostage, to periods where, as one source told Fox News, "he became much more of an accepted fellow" than is popularly understood. He even reportedly was allowed to carry a gun at times.

Hawkman — June 5, 2014 at 6:35 p.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou — June 5, 2014 at 5:49 a.m.

Nails needs his chain yanked every now and then too.

I'm not sure what's going on with the wild and crazy CCRP. (Gee, that's awful close to CCCP.) Wilson took over the Party after Vick and friends were ousted for not being conservative enough. (That was after Vick and friends disowned Boldt for pretty much the same thing.) I'm not sure, but I think Silliman - the Creationist who's one of the 3 home rule charter No votes - is aligned with the Wilsons. Berrigan is one of a few very active conservative Libertarians - Lew Waters has been brawling with them since they tried to dominate the State Repub party caucus and give the nod to Ron Paul instead of Romney.

This fight isn't just Lew against the world. A lot of the local Repubs are weighing in on his side - Crain, Peterson, Kelly Hinton and others. Robert Dean initially tried to make peace, but it appears he was made privy to something the average observer (like me) hasn't seen, because he came out both barrels in Lew's defense a couple of days later.

Actually, I'm also wondering about Liz. I used to put her in that neoCon crowd, but since she's been hanging with Ann she's slightly toned down. (But not much - especially with that intro worker sub-minimum wage B.S. she was promoting.) Anyhow, when that fight with Berrigan started, she was "Liking" everything Lew said on facebook.

A big part of the County is conservative - most of the hardcore liberals are over on the West side. The Repubs on the West appear to be more of the traditional baseball, Mom and apple pie variety. (You know - like Tim.) The East is overloaded with the Libertarians and the All Glory to Yabba Dabba Doo on High crowds. With our Top Two primary system, we're going to have races with two Repubs. (Like Vick against the far Right John Ley - sorry, but I don't see MB anywhere in sight in that race), and we're going to have to be able to discern who will be able to work with others and who will refuse to budge from their "core principles."

If you check Lew Waters' page, he's withdrawn his previous support for many in the local races. How wide is his influence? Hell if I know. But he was popular enough to get John Laird's attention, among others. All I know is that his page is a very good source to increase your understanding of where the different Repubs are. Which has been my main point. You can't be approaching local politics with the "all Repubs are the same - evil" mentality. (Unless you're Nails, that is.)

roger — June 5, 2014 at 6:36 p.m. ( | suggest removal

roger —

"...Crain, Peterson, Kelly Hinton and others."

*The Golden Girls-you know which one is Bea Arthur)

*Any perceived ridicule is unintended. Kind of. Sort of. Aw what the hell.

With this strange brew, can anyone blame Libertarians for taking the opportunity to lead the party?

"You can't be approaching local politics with the "all Repubs are the same - evil" mentality. (Unless you're Nails, that is.)"

Not taking the bait this time. We stopped at Chucks, and I'm stuffed from eating a Chicken Alfredo pizza w/fresh jalapenos.

"Nails needs his chain yanked every now and then too."

That's what she said...

...and I agree.

nailingit — June 5, 2014 at 8:05 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Has anybody seen the commercial using the old Chicken Fat song? Anybody remember that song? Google it.

Hawkman — June 5, 2014 at 9:03 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkman — June 5, 2014 at 9:03 p.m.

I googled it. Thankfully this is the first time I've heard it.

Kinda catchy..easy to march to..it gets a 2.3-9.

nailingit — June 5, 2014 at 11:52 p.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — June 5, 2014 at 11:52 p.m.

I remember having to exercise to that song in grade school as part of the President's Physical Fitness program. I think we did it once a week. That lasted until he got shot, then it died as well.

You couldn't have a program like that now, not politically correct or ADA approved.

Hawkman — June 6, 2014 at 6:37 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkman @ 6:37

I remember the President's Physical Fitness Program... won the award 3 years running, but think it was Eisenhower, mostly because I could do the 120 sit-ups it took to win. Couldn't have qualified to many years later, and probably didn't care, but it was fun stuff in 7th and 8th grade.

Wow, hadn't thought of those tests in years...

jacjak — June 6, 2014 at 10:55 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Today should be a day for all of us to do some reflection. I am sure that most of us had a father,uncle mother, or someone who fought in World War 2. What these men and women did on this day should never be forgotten. I would bet if you walked the streets today and asked those under the age of 45 what D-Day was most would not know. I asked my 3 people this morning if they knew what today was. All they could say was it is Friday. So I started their day with a history lesson.

timerick — June 6, 2014 at 10:58 a.m. ( | suggest removal

timerick — June 6, 2014 at 10:58 a.m.

Yes Tim, I know what day it is, my Father was there but besides that and Friday, do you know what other day it is?

It's national DONUT DAY!!!

Have a cruller on me.

Hawkman — June 6, 2014 at 1:17 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Thanks timerick, for the nice reminder, and for the history lesson to those who may have hated history the way it was taught to them. Thank goodness for the most fanstastic history teacher I had my freshman year in high school. He had a way of showing connections and relevence, not just dates. Have always read history since, even when younger, because of him.

The second World War was still fresh when I was in school, and taught well enough, still mostly by dates, but also we were surrounded by it's aftermath, and the stories of the men who returned. Downtown Portland, what is called the Park Blocks now was filled with homeless men, and the streets along the parks were lined with 'missions' and flop houses. No VA to lash out at in those days. It was as overwhelmed then as it is now, I suspect, and probably underfunded like now, too. There were no systems in place for those returning who may have had PTSD, and only the name 'shell shock' which meant little even then. Maybe it's cause it was from the viewpoint of a kid, but seems the homeless was so much worse then. Vagrants would come by the back door around dinnertime, and ask for food. If they were given food, they'd come again, but not too often. My mom, and many households back then, always gave a plate of food, which the guys would sit on the back steps and eat. My mother was the one who told me they were veterans. As a kid, I had no idea the path that brought them to our back door. I knew of the war tho, as Mama had a friend who was interned, and another who had a concentration camp brand on his arm. And, while these memories were of here at home after the war, it's important to remember all of the world, Europe especially, was literally awash in lost and damaged persons looking for love ones, going from country to country, or just plain lost and alone. Difficult times, with millions of stories...

jacjak — June 6, 2014 at 2:22 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkman @ 1:17 p.m.

Making a good gruller, the little loaf kind, are on my to-do list. Guess it's call Bucket list these days. Actually, any kind of donut of donut would be an great. Or maybe a good funnel cake.

Ok, may have to head to Dots first thing in the morning...

jacjak — June 6, 2014 at 5:30 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Dots?

Hawkman — June 6, 2014 at 7:21 p.m. ( | suggest removal

This from the "Progressive" Clark County

Clark County gives OK to 18 marijuana dispensary applicants
LAS VEGAS (KSNV MyNews3.com) -- LAS VEGAS (KSNV & MyNews3) -- Clark County has named the 18 companies that it will recommend to the state as the best candidates to open medical marijuana dispensaries.

Friday's announcement follows the third day of medical marijuana hearings held by commissioners.

Today's meeting started out with pitches from 14 applicants with proposed businesses in the Spring Valley area.

About 200 people packed the Clark County commission chambers as applicants anxiously waited to hear if they were chosen.

The voting process was complicated and commissioners struggled to come to a consensus on some applicants after listening to three days of business pitches.

After the first round 10 business moved on in the including CW Nevada LLC, which would provide a charlotte’s web strain of medical marijuana for children.

Four applicants made the cut in the second round and it was a nail bitter as commissioners got down to the final four.

More than 80 proposals were received by county officials. The commission conducted interviews starting Wednesday. The county planned to approve just 18 applicants for dispensaries in unincorporated areas of the county.

Each of the 81 applicants had a public hearing, giving neighbors a chance to testify for or against. Commissioners intended for the process to keep a tight schedule.

Applicants had have six minutes to make their case. Each member of the public testifying on an individual dispensary application had two minutes.

Too bad "we" can't grow up and be adults.

Hawkman — June 6, 2014 at 7:31 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Dots...it's a donut shop right off SE 164th in the shopping plaza by Big Al's. Good everything, nice and fresh, and not super sweet like Krispy Kream.

jacjak — June 6, 2014 at 7:36 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkman @ 7:31 p.m.

My goodness! And, in only 3 days, no less. That's impressive even for progressives. The best line is "Commissioners then spent nearly an hour trying to figure out how they would go about weeding out the best out of a total of 79 candidates." One whole hour!! My my, our commissioners can't even gather their thoughts, adjust their water glasses and notes, and get through the prayer segment in that time.

Kudos to them for including the charlotte's web strain for kids. Wonder if they were in the final selections.

jacjak — June 6, 2014 at 7:55 p.m. ( | suggest removal

jacjak — June 6, 2014 at 7:36 p.m.

If you go, would you ask them if they make applesauce donuts? Thanks.

It looks like the one for kids was approved.
The 18 applicants below have been approved. All must still be approved by the state later this summer. Inyo Fine Cannabis Dispensary, 2520 Maryland Pkwy CWNevada, LLC, 6540 Blue Diamond Rd Just Quality LLC,4235 Artic Springs Ave The MedMen of Nevada, 4380 Boulder Hwy GB Sciences Nevada LLC, 4850 Fort Apache The Clinic Nevada D1, LLC, 4070 Arville St LVMC LLC, 6332 S Rainbow Blvd Nevada Medical Marijuana Dispensary, Inc, 4240 W. Flamingo Ave Clear River LLC, 1975 Casino Dr Desert Inn Enterprises Inc, 2900 E. Desert Inn Rd Nevada Holistic Medicine LLC, 4660 Decatur Blvd Integral Associates LLC, 5765 W. Tropicana Ave TGIG, LLC, 4633 Paradise Global Harmony LLC, 5630 Stephanie Gravitas Nevada Ltd., 7885 Sahara Euphoria Wllness LLC, 7780 Jones Blvd Fidelis Holdings LLC, 3325 Peppper Ln Nevada Organic Remedies LLC, 6877 Sahara Ave

Hawkman — June 6, 2014 at 8:52 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Sorry Hawk, no applesause donuts at Dots.

jacjak — June 7, 2014 at 10:26 a.m. ( | suggest removal

OK, thanks for asking.

Hawkman — June 7, 2014 at 3:56 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Roger, if you don't mind...

I know you peruse Lew Water's blog from time to time. There's a new entry there about Michael Delavar with an audio of his interview on Lars Larson's program from Friday. Rather underwhelming.

Anyway, when you filed for freeholder, you once mentioned that someone else who had also filed for the same position called you. It sounded like he was kind of feeling you out to see how serious you were, and maybe to see if you would drop out. Shortly after it was he who dropped out. Am I correct in thinking that it was Delavar who called you. It dove tails with the current PCO controversy over the MO of the Republican Liberty Alliance faction encouraging their preferred PCO candidates to call their PCO opponents.

Just curious.

kn_dalai — June 7, 2014 at 4:29 p.m. ( | suggest removal

-God Wonders What Happens To Humans After They Die-

HE HEAVENS—Calling it one of the greatest mysteries in life, the Lord God Almighty, Our Heavenly Father, admitted Wednesday that He often wonders what happens to human beings after they die.

The Creator of Heaven and Earth, who said He has often grappled over the millennia with the uncomfortable reality that humans never come back after they die, told reporters He had “absolutely no idea” what, if anything, people experience once their vital organs permanently cease to function.

“My view—take it or leave it—is that you can talk and argue as much as you want about death, but when it comes down to it, all anyone can do is guess what’s on the other side,” God Almighty said. “In the meantime, humans should enjoy themselves, try to live honestly, be good to one another, and make the most of their time on earth.”

“Because, like it or not, I’ll end all of their lives sooner or later,” He added. “There’s simply no escaping that.”

nailingit — June 7, 2014 at 7:01 p.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — June 7, 2014 at 7:01 p.m

DAMN!

Thought I was going to live for-ever!

OK, for you bargain hunters.... Gatorade 20oz 8 packs at Winco for $3.78. limit 12. Heck of a deal. Includes the G2, low cal.

Hawkman — June 7, 2014 at 9:08 p.m. ( | suggest removal

I'm all for keeping impaired drivers off the road, preferably before they start driving. This going mainstream makes me a bit wary. What other odors could it be used for to detect perceived wrong doing? Outside peoples homes, businesses, schools, courtrooms...persons. Although great for targeted security, private entities using this for personal gain, insurance companies, LE's, etc. mitigating countless circumstances citing everything from diet to addictions depending on the device's sensitivity and calibrating differing odors.

Personal privacy issues and potential for abuse is troubling.

Welcome to the future.

-Laser device can detect alcohol in cars, report authors in 'Journal of Applied Remote Sensing'-

External laser device detects presence of alcohol vapors inside of a moving car

BELLINGHAM, Washington -- A new open-access article in the Journal of Applied Remote Sensing is garnering attention for research that could aid in the campaign to prevent drunk driving: a device that can detect alcohol in cars. The Journal of Applied Remote Sensing is published by SPIE, the international society for optics and photonics.

The article "Stand-off detection of alcohol in car cabins," by Jarosław Młyńczak, Jan Kubicki, and Krzysztof Kopczyński of the Military University of Technology in Warsaw, Poland, details experiments using an external laser device to detect the presence of alcohol vapors inside of a moving car. The device was constructed at the university's Institute of Optoelectronics based on previous research from a 2013 paper by the same authors.

Stand-off detection is a chemical and biological compound identification method using a laser that takes place at a distance from people to reduce the potential for damage. The authors note that the use of stand-off detection for chemical identification is already described in many papers, but that developments in the types of lasers that can be used in this application have been made in recent years, including "eye-safe" microchip lasers.

!Some Standoff Detection info. Fascinating stuff!

nailingit — June 8, 2014 at 9:08 a.m. ( | suggest removal

kn_dalai — June 7, 2014 at 4:29 p.m. -- I forgot all about that. Yes, you are correct - He did make that call.

roger — June 8, 2014 at 9:14 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — June 8, 2014 at 9:08 a.m. -- Just one more example of the amount of monitoring that exists or could exist.

A sidetrack, but I'd like to see more restrictive issuing of driver's licenses. There are way too many people on the road who don't have the skill to control that vehicle they're operating.

roger — June 8, 2014 at 9:19 a.m. ( | suggest removal

roger — June 8, 2014 at 9:19 a.m.

I think of some great application for Standoff, such as detecting explosives signatures at airports, checkpoints, etc. But what a potential downside.

I agree with your comment about drivers licenses. Tighter control would not only protect others, but protect incompetent drivers from themselves.

Not to sound like a cranky old man, but it'd help if law enforcement would enforce the simplest of infractions, such as unlawful texting and cell phone use. From my observations, it seems at least one in five are abusing this.

Add some bucks to the county/city coffers and do your jobs po-po's!

nailingit — June 8, 2014 at 9:33 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — June 8, 2014 at 9:08 a.m.

Really interesting. I wonder if they can target WHO is exhaling the vapors. It could be a person in the back seat.

I doubt very much we would see widespread use in our lifetime, after all self drive cars are on the horizon.

Hawkman — June 8, 2014 at 9:33 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkman — June 8, 2014 at 9:33 a.m.

The authors note that the device would likely also identify cars where the driver is sober but the passengers are not, or if there is spilled alcohol in the car, but that the device "will surely decrease the number of cars that have to be checked by police and, at the same time, will increase efficacy of stopping drunken drivers."

The device was tested with a car deployed on the road while the laser stayed in the laboratory next to an open window, making it possible to extensively monitor the device.

The researchers simulated alcohol vapor coming from a human lung by evaporating a water solution of alcohol of an appropriate concentration and at an appropriate temperature. The results showed that the presence of alcohol vapors was detected at concentrations of 0.1% and greater.

"From the practical point of view, there seem to be some countermeasures, such as driving with windows open, solar screens on the side windows, etc., that can be applied by drivers to deceive the system," the authors wrote in their conclusion. "However, such situations are very easily detected by the system, which sends this information to the policeman indicating that the car should be checked."

nailingit — June 8, 2014 at 9:56 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — June 8, 2014 at 9:56 a.m.

And "big brother" keeps getting bigger.

On another note----From the "Only in Vegas" file,

One woman is being hospitalized after being stabbed with a Machete at a Valley Burger King on Sunday morning.

Police say the stabbing happened at approximately 9:24 a.m. at the Burger King on South Eastern Avenue and East Warm Springs Road.

Metro Lt. Michael Wallace said a male suspect was detained shortly after the stabbing.

The condition of the woman stabbed is unknown at this time.

Hawkman — June 8, 2014 at 11:43 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Seriously, what's in the water down there?

Two suspects shot and critically injured two police officers at a Las Vegas pizza restaurant Sunday before fatally shooting a third person and killing themselves inside a nearby Walmart, investigators said.

The spree began around 11:30 a.m. Sunday when a man and woman walked into CiCi's Pizza and shot two officers who were eating lunch, Las Vegas police spokesman Larry Hadfield said.

One of the suspects yelled, "This is a revolution," but the motive for the shooting remains under investigation, Hadfield said.

The two suspects then fled to the Walmart across the street, where they shot a person inside and then killed themselves in an apparent suicide pact, Hadfield said.

The condition of the two officers was not immediately known, he said, but an update would be provided later Sunday.

"I think in any case where people are ambushed and shot it's upsetting to the public," Hadfield told The Associated Press. "We don't know anything about the suspects yet and are trying to learn more."

The names of the suspects and victims and their cause of death will be released by the Clark County coroner's office.

The restaurant and Walmart remained closed as detectives processed evidence

Hawkman — June 8, 2014 at 3:39 p.m. ( | suggest removal

update-

Both cops were killed. One died at the scene and the other one later.

Some people really suck.

Hawkman — June 8, 2014 at 4:27 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Okay, for a bit of opinion writing that seems fairly accurate, really, with only the headline misleading. It's more reflective of the media and ordinary citizens than Washington DC. They're just users. And, Ted Cruz is still an idiot and so far out there, they must send tweets to Mars in order to get his usual blah-blahanigans of 'Obama is the cause of everything since the Inquisition, and I'm not real sure he didn't cause that, too'.

jacjak — June 8, 2014 at 6:37 p.m. ( | suggest removal

jacjak — June 8, 2014 at 6:37 p.m.

Thanks, that was a pretty decent commentary. And yea, you got it: Cruz is still an idiot and way far far out, in a galaxy all by himself. Where do they find these types?
Wonder if he is behind the reparative therapy outburst of the Texas GOP. He and that preacher daddy of his must love crap like that.
That's ok though, gives Wendy an even better shot down there.

luvithere — June 8, 2014 at 6:44 p.m. ( | suggest removal

That's ok though, gives Wendy an even better shot down there.
luvithere — June 8, 2014 at 6:44 p.m.

Don't have many political dollars, and local campaigns are in the forefront, but did send a few bucks to Allison Lundergan Grimes in KY. Mr 'I won't bring it to the floor' Obstructionist has got to go! But, Wendy Davis seems to be giving 'good hair' Perry a bit of indigestion, and I'm glad. If that lottery ticket wins maybe I be able to broaden the outreach. Guess I need to buy the ticket, tho. Used to buy one whenever I bought milk, but we've practically quit drinking it; only the occasional bowl of cherrios or recipes.

jacjak — June 8, 2014 at 7:14 p.m. ( | suggest removal