Open forum, May 5-11

Comments

Good write jj. I'm surprised Murdoch wasn't wearing a crown & robe, sporting a sepulcher.

Meanwhile-back at the ranch...

-Nevada Congressman Wants Cliven Bundy Backers Out-

[Horsford, who attended a public event in nearby Mesquite earlier Saturday, said he was approached by residents there wanting to know about his plans to get militia members out of the area.

He said a fifth-grade girl told him that Bundy has a "sense of entitlement" and should pay grazing fees like other ranchers who use public land in the West. A man told him that Bundy is a "welfare rancher" living off taxpayer subsidies, Horsford said.

"And that is why I am calling on (Gov.) Brian Sandoval, Sen. Dean Heller, the (Clark County) sheriff (Doug Gillespie) and any other elected official in Nevada to do their part to get rid of these armed separatists," Horsford said to loud cheers from about 200 delegates.

Sandoval and Heller are Republicans, while Gillespie holds a nonpartisan position.

Sandoval spokesman Mac Bybee referred The Associated Press on Sunday to an interview on the "Nevada Newsmakers" television show taped Friday in which the governor acknowledged people have a right to feel safe in their homes.]

Read More @ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/04/steven-horsford-cliven-bundy_n_5265050.html

nailingit — May 5, 2014 at 8 a.m. ( | suggest removal

I'll just bet Madore is GIDDY!!!!

Supreme Court Allows Opening Prayer at Town Board Meeting
The Supreme Court on Monday ruled that a town in upstate New York may begin its public meetings with a prayer from a “chaplain of the month.”
Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, writing for the majority in the 5-to-4 decision, said “ceremonial prayer is but a recognition that, since this nation was founded and until the present day, many Americans deem that their own existence must be understood by precepts far beyond that authority of government to alter or define.”
In dissent, Justice Elena Kagan said the town’s practices could not be reconciled “with the First Amendment’s promise that every citizen, irrespective of her religion, owns an equal share of her government.”
Town officials said that members of all faiths, and atheists, were welcome to give the opening prayer. In practice, the federal appeals court in New York said, almost all of the chaplains were Christian.
READ MORE »

My question is, who do atheists pray to?

Hawkman — May 5, 2014 at 8:55 a.m. ( | suggest removal

-Inventing a Failure-

Now comes the latest claim — that many of the people who signed up for insurance aren’t actually paying their premiums. Obviously this claim is part of a continuing pattern. It also, however, involves a change in tactics. Previous attacks on Obamacare were pretty much fact-free; this time the claim was backed by an actual survey purporting to show that a third of enrollees hadn’t paid their first premium.

But the survey was rigged. (Are you surprised?) It asked insurers how many enrollees had paid their first premium; it ignored the fact that the first premium wasn’t even due for the millions of people who signed up for insurance after March 15.

And the fact that the survey was so transparently rigged is a smoking gun, proving that the attacks on Obamacare aren’t just bogus; they’re deliberately bogus. The staffers who set up that survey knew enough about the numbers to skew them, which meant that they have to have known that Obamacare is actually doing O.K.

So why are Republicans doing this? Sad to say, there’s method in their fraudulence.

First of all, it fires up the base. After this latest exercise in deception, we can be fairly sure that Republican leaders know perfectly well that Obamacare has failed to fail. But the party faithful don’t. Like anyone who writes about these issues, I get vast amounts of mail from people who know, just know, that insurance premiums are skyrocketing, that far more people have lost insurance because of Obummercare than have gained it, that all the horror stories are real, and that anyone who says otherwise is just a liberal shill.

Beyond that, the constant harping on alleged failure works as innuendo even if each individual claim collapses in the face of evidence. A recent poll by the Kaiser Family Foundation found that a majority of Americans know that more than eight million people enrolled in health exchanges; but it also found a majority of respondents believing that this was below expectations, and that the law was working badly.

So Republicans are spreading disinformation about health reform because it works, and because they can — there is no sign that they pay any political price when their accusations are proved false.

And that observation should scare you. What happens to the Congressional Budget Office if a party that has learned that lying about numbers works takes full control of Congress? What happens if it regains the White House, too? Nothing good, that’s for sure.

Read More @ http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/05/opinion/krugman-inventing-a-failure.html?hp&rref;=opinion&_r=1

nailingit — May 5, 2014 at 10:17 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — May 5, 2014 at 10:17 a.m.

Thinking about your post, it occurred to me that "we" are subject to more false information now more than ever in our lifetime. You can thank the internet and "creative" thinking on the part of the misinformation jockeys. But there is one other thing we are missing. We no longer have a "trusted" person giving us the news. At one time we had Cronkite and Brinkley, nobody questioned them because they were the goto guys when it came to the real news. Nobody is clean anymore. Sad, really. Maybe Al Jazeera will create someone but with a name like that, it's going to take FOREVER to create trust.

Hawkman — May 5, 2014 at 1:46 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkman @ 1:46

While what you say about a 'trusted' person, I think the big drain on actual News, that is the news type of strictly 'what, when, who, why, and how' became the minority focus because news shows were absorbed as a money-maker, just like other aspects of a television channel.

But, add the incredible and convoluted evolution of original news shows. Check out CBS on Wikipedia, for example. Or pick one, their all about the same. Started as a group of independent broadcasters when radio was measured in hertz and traveled airwaves below the lightband, but needed investors, so strikes a deal with phonograph company, and so now it's called Columbia Phonograph and goes on the air with one flagship station, then 2, then 4, then 20. Then Columbia Records wants out so sells to the next guy with even more money. Then comes aquisitions to feed the appetite of radio development and also it's audience. Then comes television, and the diversity required, so they are absorbed again. They never 'went public' like we think of it today, but were bought and absorbed, and bought and absorbed, a corporation that somehow has more and bigger parent companies. And, they now had shareholders to think about...lots of them, with all those affiliated companies. Be profitable or be lobbed off. That's the driving force, not truthfulness. And the 'perfect storm' so to speak, of broadbands, bandwidths, cable, internet, transisters, cd's, digitals adds pressure to the swirl, but ultimately it's about profit, and whatever it takes to keep the audience staying tuned in to them and not the other guy. So, we get 'drama' and debate and opinion, and more drama...and they call it news commentary.

So, integrity of news broadcasting has been usurped by money, and the need to beat the other guy to the stuff that pays. And, of course in my perfect storm analogy, there's a dumbing down through that same rush of advancing technology of consumers, to where they now compete with shows about mud fishing, swamp people, and amish mafia...

Edward Murrow, David Brinkley, Walter Cronkite, Seymore Hersh, even Ted Koppel and Howard Cosell were all part of a era where name and content mattered, and the march to mediocrity had not yet fully taken root in broadcasting... if it's even call that these days. I think they call it 'media' now, where even the word itself has lost that sense of dynamism and vitality.

jacjak — May 5, 2014 at 3:03 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkman — May 5, 2014 at 1:46 p.m.

Money has corrupted the industry. As icons go, Brian Williams rates right up there in my book.

Al-Jazeera has it's own set of bias/agenda. I'd just as soon watch Fox. At least it's easier to filter out the garbage. Maybe the best filter is the off switch.

nailingit — May 5, 2014 at 3:21 p.m. ( | suggest removal

You all have shown me with this what a colossal waste of time it is to try to shed light on real problems."

"The hell with it, go to Madore’s facebook page and the Lazy C if you wish to know what is going on."

"I’m tired of beating my head against the wall for an unappreciative group."

nailingit — May 5, 2014 at 3:28 p.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — May 5, 2014 at 10:17 a.m. ---Case In Point---

-Tennessee GOP State Senator Likens Obamacare Sign-Ups To Nazi Death Trains-

"Democrats bragging about the number of mandatory sign ups for Obamacare is like Germans bragging about the number of manditory sign ups for "train rides" for Jews in the 40s."

nailingit — May 5, 2014 at 4:04 p.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — May 5, 2014 at 3:28 p.m.

That's just Lew having his monthly hissy fit. He gets fed up every once in a while and threatens to quit. I think it's funny how when he does that (mostly for attention I think) that some of his readers backtrack and kiss up to him.

Hawkman — May 5, 2014 at 7:43 p.m. ( | suggest removal

"That's just Lew having his monthly hissy fit."

My medical background is somewhat limited. Just taking a shot here..

Hawkman — It sure makes for some hilarity. Quite a little following/enablers Lew has.

I think it's great he has his little corner to rant while a few folks listen. At least it's harmless, and at the same time amusing.

Kinda like screaming into a pillow I suppose.

He's SO high maintenance!

nailingit — May 5, 2014 at 11 p.m. ( | suggest removal

In case we haven't been paying attention, Lew Waters' blog now has more members than this one. And if you'll go to the C3G2 facebook page, you'll see that same need for affirmation of ideas that Lew is being accused of.

I'd say Lew is defending freedom of the press - and also telling his readers to put away their preconceived notion that Repub (Callahan) = Good, Liberal (Jaquiss) = Bad. The "yeah, but...." nature of a couple of responses set him off.

Whatever.

roger — May 6, 2014 at 5:43 a.m. ( | suggest removal

We have a membership?

nailingit — May 6, 2014 at 6:43 a.m. ( | suggest removal

I see folks here in the forum are waking up to the fact that what we once considered "news" isn't really news, but someone's take on the information received in order to present a report which appeases the masses.

goldenoldie — May 6, 2014 at 7:13 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkman — May 5, 2014 at 7:43 p.m.

Actually, nobody is kissing up to the man. You can call it that, but I understand it's your defense mechanism playing a role in your comment since it's obvious you have a hatred for anybody who thinks other than the way you do. You've made that very clear here with my posts on the forum. No prob.

Just remember - Clarification of one's opinion is hardly kissing up.

Remember too, it's his blog where he can open up and vent his frustrations all he wants and he has the right to remove any comment he deems unacceptable. So here's a little dare for ya, Hawkman. Why don't you go on Lew's blog and make the same statement you made here on the C's forum???

goldenoldie — May 6, 2014 at 7:21 a.m. ( | suggest removal

goldenoldie — May 6, 2014 at 7:21 a.m.

Actually you and Craig were kissing up to him. Big time. But as you say, it is his blog and he can delete or save anyone he wants to so why would I go on there and say anything. I look on occasion to see what "the other side" has to say but for the most part I stay away. Lew and I have had many discussions about many ideas. Some we agree on but most we don't.

BTW, how do you know I haven't been on there?

Hawkman — May 6, 2014 at 10:29 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkman, I'm not sure how you consider my statement to Lew as kissing up when all I said was in part "...speaking for myself…I am not unappreciative of the opinion pieces you present here on YOUR blog. I believe the point was missed in that we are witnessing a war of words between..." To read exactly what it was I said, I will direct you to another post here on the forum, courtesy of nailingit (thank you nails). Nails has provided a direct link to the discussion on May 5, 2014 at 3:28 p.m. And no, I'm not kissing up to nails by thanking the person. It's hardly kissing up; at least, not in the realm of showing respect to a fellow human. And hawk...respect isn't something I take lightly. Respect is something that must be earned, my fellow forum follower.

Like you say, Lew and I have had many discussions about many ideas. Some WE agree on but in my case, some we don't. I can't say "most"... just some.

So if you HAVE been on Lew's site, you do a great job hiding yourself...unless you have hijacked the moniker of good ol' hawkeye (the ORIGINAL hawkeye from way back when, that is...who by the way, has been gone a long, long time), even going so far as to tarnish his online personality, although I'd doubt he'd really care. IF what I say is so...I have a pretty good idea of just who it is you are. Lew takes on a lot of opposition on his blog. If the person presents an opposing view based on facts, he does take into mind what the person is saying and usually comes back with a civil response as long as the other person is being civil. He's not quick to remove anybody just because they don't agree with him. Heck, I've disagreed with him many a time on his blog. I'm still able to post there. What are you afraid of, Hawkman???

goldenoldie — May 6, 2014 at 11:09 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Lew's blog reminds me of the Andy Griffith Show, without Andy Griffith. It's entertaining while lending a pulse to local conservatism. It's where comedy meets tragedy, where the far right meets the far out, where Lew's opinion meets Lew's opinion.

It's my most trusted 'bottom of the rust bucket-man am I bored reads' in my ongoing attempts to embrace diversity of opinion regardless of quality or content.

Next Up:

A reread of Saturday's 'Press Talk'.

nailingit — May 6, 2014 at 11:31 a.m. ( | suggest removal

"Roger... you've noticed the increased readership there, too??? So why aren't you posting there any more???" -- goldenoldie — May 6, 2014 at 7:21 a.m.

Anymore? I made 2 or 3 posts when I was being discussed as a freeholder candidate. As I recall, I thanked Lew for not having anything negative to say about me, and probably addressed the comment by one of his readers that I was a proponent of small government (not exactly accurate). I am a regular reader (about once every couple of weeks I go catch up on his articles and the comments made). And back when he was posting to the "Lazy C" facebook page I occasionally engaged him in conversation over something (like the Occupy movement, I think). But I am a busy person, and really only have time in my life to piss and moan and argue with one person over all things political, etc. And that be Nails.

roger — May 6, 2014 at 11:34 a.m. ( | suggest removal

I'm honored.

nailingit — May 6, 2014 at 11:37 a.m. ( | suggest removal

"We have a membership?" -- nailingit — May 6, 2014 at 6:43 a.m.
Apparently. Wasn't there some consternation over the weekend about the disappearance of our unofficial president?

roger — May 6, 2014 at 11:40 a.m. ( | suggest removal

roger — I keep waiting for a ransom demand. Where are you hiding her?

nailingit — May 6, 2014 at 11:44 a.m. ( | suggest removal

goldenoldie — May 6, 2014 at 11:09 a.m.

Afraid? No. Not afraid of Lew. I just have better things to do. Why would I bother? I'm not going to change anyone's mind about anything and mine is pretty much set. No, I'll leave it to you and your friends.

Hawkman — May 6, 2014 at 11:56 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — May 6, 2014 at 11:44 a.m.

Manthou has said a few times that her husband and I agree on things. Never met the guy, but he's obviously a fine gentleman. So, no ransom note from this direction.

I suspect the lack of participation is either due to being on a trip somewhere, or just a hiatus from posting. (We all take a break now and then.) She's also barely spoken on C3G2 lately - maybe once in the past week.

roger — May 6, 2014 at 12:38 p.m. ( | suggest removal

roger — May 6, 2014 at 11:34 a.m.
Smiles all around, roger.

Hawkman — May 6, 2014 at 11:56 a.m.
I give you credit for honesty in your response, Hawkman.

nailingit — May 6, 2014 at 11:31 a.m.
Nails, I'll be thinking of your posts whenever I hear the Andy Griffith theme song from now on...8))

Manthou...I hope everything is okay and you are doing well. It's creepy not seeing your avatar at least once in a day.

goldenoldie — May 6, 2014 at 12:51 p.m. ( | suggest removal

NAIL%
I am just going to give you and others some local ACA numbers. For those who signed up Prior to March 1st.
89% still paying who enrolled into Individual Market plans
84% Still paying who enrolled into the ACA plans
So were way ahead of those numbers most likely. Another thing to think about is working with an agent versus signing up online.. We have found it to be very confusing for people shopping for this online versus having the comparable right in front of their eyes..
It's been our experience that by years end those numbers will decrease 10-15% more...It will be interesting to see how the ACA plans decrease by years end not having them before.
As for those who don't have bank accounts and need to pay by cash- Those accounts have a high incidence of cancellation over 50%.. mainly due to not having enough money to pay the monthly premiums when it's due...

vanwadreamer — May 6, 2014 at 1:49 p.m. ( | suggest removal

My my, look who's back and feels she'll have impact on 'other people's futures.' And, to think there's only 916 looong days to go til the next presidential election...

Which brings me to a question of the spectulative sort... what determines an 'affair'? Is strictly sex an affair? Perhaps I missed something in alllllll those days of hearings. Perhaps a dalliance...?

'...It is time, she writes, to stop “tiptoeing around my past, and other people’s futures. I am determined to have a different ending to my story. I’ve decided, finally, to stick my head above the parapet so that I can take back my narrative and give a purpose to my past.”

jacjak — May 6, 2014 at 2:38 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Well, well... no matter how some folks continue to analyze aspects of Obamacare down to each individual grain of it trying to wring out any iota of flaw, looks like insurance companies intend to follow the money...

jacjak — May 6, 2014 at 3:27 p.m. ( | suggest removal

jacjak — May 6, 2014 at 2:38 p.m.

I'm somewhat curious over her explanation of how old Bill took advantage of her, yet their dalliances were consensual. Maybe he didn't sign off on her overtime requests?

Giving in to someone using their power isn't usually called consensual.

Maybe someday we'll see this explained here. If not - oh well.

roger — May 6, 2014 at 4:59 p.m. ( | suggest removal

vanwadreamer — May 6, 2014 at 1:49 p.m.

Thanks vanwa. It's exciting to see the ACA pick up steam and make quality health care available & affordable.

nailingit — May 6, 2014 at 5:01 p.m. ( | suggest removal

An interesting APIL article. Don Benton expressed his disappointment in the judicial ruling that City Council didn't have to honor Stephanie Rice's ongoing FOIA request when it came to the recent e-mail traffic being sent to the wrong person fiasco. The young lady has the audacity to question Unca Donald's motives, noting how he just recently called her a bitch and had other pleasantries for Editor Lou. She also cover other examples of his gift for exchanging pleasantries with those he disagrees with. (A couple of our basement types thought calling Ann Rivers a trampy girl was supposed to be a compliment, but the more mature among us corrected that notion.)

Anyhow - Note that she calls The Boss Editor Lou. That's what I've been calling him the past couple of years! Now, I don't mind sharing, but....

roger — May 6, 2014 at 5:16 p.m. ( | suggest removal

---Must see vid for conservatives!---

-Kay Jewelers Recalls 2 Million Cursed Wedding Rings-

NEWS WITH VIDEO

AKRON, OH—Apologizing to customers for “any discomfort or searing of the flesh” on their ring fingers, Kay Jewelers ordered a recall Thursday of some two million cursed wedding bands sold at its 900 locations nationwide over the past several years. “We announce with great regret that a considerable portion of our inventory, mostly from the Leo Diamond and Neil Lane Bridal lines, became cursed by an ancient evil either within the mine or at some point during the casting process,” company executive Judith Stelling said, responding to widespread reports of agonizing night terrors and chronic infertility among Kay patrons. “If any wearer of Kay products has experienced partial or total blindness, nausea, intense rage upon entering a church, or has suffered a string of unexplained family tragedies, you may return the defective item to any Kay-affiliated retailer to be destroyed by a qualified priest.” Stelling added that anyone who returns a cursed ring would receive full store credit and a complimentary silver pendant from Jane Seymour’s Open Hearts collection.

nailingit — May 6, 2014 at 8:03 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Nobody plays the harp with more soul than Corky Siegel. Those unfamiliar, check out some Siegel-Schwall Band tunes from back in the day sometime. I still have my first Marine Band harmonica this guy inspired me to buy back in 69'.

nailingit — May 6, 2014 at 8:23 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Was cleaning out my "tool" (read junk collection) cabinet this past weekend and ran across my old Jews harp. Now we need a banjo and a washboard player and we're in business. (Too bad The Basement Tapes is already taken.)

roger — May 7, 2014 at 6:24 a.m. ( | suggest removal

The cookie is starting to crumble. Kudo's to those taking on this fight. Our conservative majority has become an embarrassment, as well as a destructive force.

-Wide Majorities Losing Faith In John Roberts' Supreme Court, Want Term Limits-

An overwhelming majority of voters would support sweeping reforms to the Supreme Court, as trust and confidence in the institution has eroded in recent years, according to a new survey by the Democratic-aligned firm Greenberg Quinlan Rosner.

Wide majorities disagree with the recent 5-4 party-line rulings that have upended a century of campaign finance law and tilted the rules in favor of the extremely wealthy and major corporations. The landmark Citizens United ruling was opposed by a whopping 80-18 margin. The more recent McCutcheon decision, which lifted caps on total giving, was said by a 51 percent majority to be likely to create more corruption, while 8 percent suggested it would lead to less.

By a 60-36 spread, those surveyed said that Supreme Court justices were more likely to be carrying out a personal or political agenda than working to render a fair and impartial judgment, an opinion that cut across party lines. John Roberts swore before Congress during his confirmation hearings that he had great respect for precedent. But once confirmed as chief justice, he embarked on a remarkable run of conservative judicial activism that has favored the wealthy while undermining affirmative action and protection for voting rights.

Overall approval of the Supreme Court has been falling since its 5-4 Bush v. Gore decision handed the presidency to George W. Bush in 2000, according to Gallup.

Big majorities in the GQR poll said that Supreme Court justices should no longer be appointed for life, that cameras should be allowed in the courtroom and that justices should disclose financial conflicts of interest and be bound by ethics rules.

nailingit — May 7, 2014 at 7:24 a.m. ( | suggest removal

-Sorry GOP, Most Americans Are Paying Their Obamacare Bills On Time-

The latest Republican attack on Obamacare has just been debunked.

A high percentage of enrollees in the Affordable Care Act, President Barack Obama's signature health-care-reform law, have paid their bills on time, health-insurance companies say. That adds legitimacy to the administration's claim that more than 8 million people have signed up for Obamacare, debunking a recent GOP survey -- meant to shoot holes in the administration's numbers -- which suggested that a large percentage of that 8 million still hadn't paid for insurance.

WellPoint, one of the largest U.S. insurers, said that, of the people who signed up for plans through Obamacare's exchanges during the first enrollment period, up to 90 percent have paid their bills on time. The company released this data in testimony prepared for a Congressional hearing on Wednesday.

"We are seeing strong membership growth and large percentages of our newly enrolled customers are successfully paying their premiums by the due date," Dennis Matheis, who is responsible for WellPoint’s exchange strategy, wrote in the testimony. WellPoint sells insurance under several brands, including its own, Anthem Blue Cross, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield, Empire BlueCross BlueShield, and Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Georgia.

Read More @ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/07/obamacare-bills-being-paid-gop_n_5279990.html

nailingit — May 7, 2014 at 9:38 a.m. ( | suggest removal

I heard something interesting last night about what some call "Obstructionism"...Mainly Democrats...
They were talking about James Madison, the father of the Constitution. He was very pragmatic about the party system. Somewhat to the point of what Dems are complaining about R in congress now. If you don't like what the other party is trying to do, don't vote for it, get those people voted out and gain control to make the necessary changes needed to bring about reform and or change.
Looks like Senator Hagan in NC is likely to loose her seat in the Senate To R Tillis come this fall. Polls show she is not likely to get re elected as one of the main mouth pieces of Obamacare. I guess the Ol saying is true, be careful of what you wish for...The fall elections won't be just about Obamacare, But how it was supported and purported to be much more than what it is. People don't like being Lied too, Misled, Required, or otherwise made fools of... We will see a much more Contrite President should the R gain control of the senate.. Hey it sure helped Clinton back in the Day..Anyone else noticing the First Lady not traveling with the president since the Fiasco of the seating arraignments at the Mandela funeral..Look how much Fun the Pres was having, I saw that twinkle in his eyes... Seems like there be a little more Tension these days in the Ol White house Bedroom. or bedrooms..

vanwadreamer — May 7, 2014 at 10:27 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Such a gossip! :》

nailingit — May 7, 2014 at 10:54 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — May 7, 2014 at 7:24 a.m.,

Opinion polls have become so slanted/biased that they're virtually meaningless. Look at Pres Obama's ratings - they change almost daily, it seems.

There's been a movement for some time to impose term limits on the Supreme Court Justices, with 18 years being an agreed on period. There's also a discussion on whether a Constitutional amendment is even required; it currently says they serve as long as showing some vague form of good behavior.

Interestingly, the argument against imposing term limits is almost the same as the reasoning for them. When appointed "for life" there's a belief that they'll put aside the politics and rule per some higher thinking. I'm not remembering who, but I think it was one Nixon appointed who the Liberals ended up loving.Br

Brandeis, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Thurgood Marshall, Sam (?) Black - all despised in their day, and now considered some of the more important of the Justices who served. FDR was at war with the Court of his day. And a scan of different websites today would leave a stranger confused - Who is the worst Supreme Court Justice of all time - Alito or Sotomajor?

roger — May 7, 2014 at 12:33 p.m. ( | suggest removal

NAIL-

I was following your march on news reporting.. What is news reporting and what is real and what is made to fit what some want to you to hear...Much of today's news is really not news but snippets of what really transpired or will transpire.. Even the facts are loosely given out to fit ones agenda. If one really wants to get to the heart of "the story" it may take quite a bit of time. Look at our transparent White House. They throw up roadblock after roadblock on everything that has negative spin... It will be interesting to see the 12 member panel grill those involved in the Benghazi terrorist attack. Hopefully they get to speak with Mrs. Clinton.. She left to get out of all the turmoil of the Obama Administration to keep her image away from his going down the urinal. You may say Gossip but a picture doesn't lie.. I think Michelle is cold as Ice these days..

vanwadreamer — May 7, 2014 at 12:46 p.m. ( | suggest removal

.roger-Scalia & Roberts in the running. Accountability and adherence to ethical standards as important as term limits. I disagree with your assessment/generalization regarding polls, although credible metrics are necessary. I refer to our resident expert Doc luvit for some of this stuff.

nailingit — May 7, 2014 at 12:50 p.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — May 7, 2014 at 12:50 p.m.,

My point exactly. You left Sonia off your list because you agree with her.

roger — May 7, 2014 at 1 p.m. ( | suggest removal

.vanwa- A pic doesn't lie? :) I don't know what gossipy RW sites you grace, but this is silly stuff assuming there is a problem because of a pic? :) Too much! Let me guess...Malkin? Rush? Brietbart?

For many speculation becomes news. Kinda like the ACA.

What happened to your claims few are paying their premiums?

Your take on the news allows you to digest garbage from those I mentioned. People truly believe what they want. And to a Fox News viewer, it's all good.

nailingit — May 7, 2014 at 1:04 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Roger- You just unwittingly made your own point. I've never discussed Justice Sotomajor decisions/dissents. There have been times I've agreed and times not, yet given your bias you make assumptions.

It's not too often one gives themselves a gotcha moment. Good job! :))

nailingit — May 7, 2014 at 1:10 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Well, I guess Ted won't be coming after all.

Hawkman — May 7, 2014 at 1:52 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Anybody else notice the sudden rush of global climate change concerns in the past week or so??? Granted, it has been on the minds of many since Al Gore and his fiasco began, but THIS time around...

This time around, the push is stronger than ever to raise awareness to the people and for everyone to try to make a change to help ease the perils of climate change before its too late.

Although I'm a firm believer that we are experiencing a phenomenon such as global climate change, I'm highly suspicious of this sudden purge of information.

Honestly...as one person...it cannot happen. If we all work together to improve the air we breathe, clean the waterways and practice energy/water/land conservation to the max...

Will it truly make a dent??? Maybe, maybe not, but with the issues of climate change, we are faced with constant new tasks. With the possibility of an El Nino rebuilding, we're facing the chances of a warmer, drier summer...and according to an article by the C...we're expected to see a bad wildfire season for the PNW. Those east winds in late July and August can feed a small barkdust fire and suddenly, it's an inferno. It's that wonderful time of year for spring cleaning around the home. Trim tree branches higher off the ground and eliminate branches drooping over your house. Maybe including a bit more xeriscaping with stone (especially along the edge of your lawns to reduce the risk of fires caused by cigarettes flung out windows of cars) will help reduce at least one fire hazard. Check your lawn sprinklers to make sure they're functioning properly. And most definitely...if you utilize firewood for winter heat...move it away from the side of your house.

Just some random thoughts.

goldenoldie — May 7, 2014 at 2:14 p.m. ( | suggest removal

My point exactly. You left Sonia off your list because you agree with her.
roger — May 7, 2014 at 1 p.m.

Jumping in....

But, does someone have to agree or disagree in order to have already specific opinions of their own about cases like Citizens United, McCutcheon, or prayer at government meetings? Do each of us hope or worry a decision can uphold law without the slant of political allegiance of the Justices riddling it? Sure.

It's about what each citizen thinks (thus causing the agreement or disagreement with each decision) more than it is about the Justice themselves, or who that Justice was appointed by. It's about what each citizen thinks that even brings a case before the Supreme Court. What a Justice thinks is secondary to what I think, or you think, or another citizen thinks. We go to the Court hoping for a fair interpretation of the law. We have to live with their decision, but that does not eliminate the opinion of each of us. The Justice's majority or minority opinions sometimes clarifies the 'why' of how they concluded the decision, but more times than not those opinions are serpentine and complex for the layperson, so does little to cause a reevaluation on one's own opinion. If decisions are made that confirms my already preconceived opinions, then of course I will agree more often with the opinion of that specific Justice. Ultimately for me, it is about each specific decision, not a 'conservative court' or a 'liberal judge'. The popular need to label everything just adds tension. The sad part is that the SCOTUS is now expected to decide along political lines instead of upholding or interpreting the law. Always that 5-4 decision...

jacjak — May 7, 2014 at 2:29 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Polls...
polls are ok. The science behind them is ok. Things like standard error or margin of error are ok. People who do not know stats might have a hard tiem believing this, especially if "they have not been called". (Seen this argument before).

However, it also all depends on exactly who you word your questions in the survey. Easy to slant them. I know a few political pollsters who are really god at that. And given that I still get Herrera Beutler's "surveys" in the mail - she is a master of slanting, by the way. Just the worst setup possible to slant it her way. I am sure she ain't alone; I just happen to get her mailings.

As to our Supremes: nice thought of life time appointment to get politics out of the way. Doesn't seem to happen anymore.

And hawk, as to Teddy Nugent. I used to like his music. Some of his tunes are just plain fun. I have seen him in concert many years ago and he was great. But now - I wouldn't pay a cent to see him. He stepped over a line a long time ago and keeps on stepping. His true colors showed with his mongrel comment, and that's it for me.

luvithere — May 7, 2014 at 2:58 p.m. ( | suggest removal

jacjak — May 7, 2014 at 2:29 p.m.

Great post. Justices are supposed to be held to a higher standard than most. Obviously a couple have crossed that line with extreme political leanings, and in my opinion, Thomas and Scalia, with their open support of the Tea Party crossed it a long time ago. We at least need to require the same ethical guidelines we require of all other Federal Judges. By design, we've fostered the disrespect for the American people a few of these justices seem to have.

Citizens United, gutting the Voting Rights Act just to name two...in the face of politicians and layman alike being opposed...they're ruining/corrupting our political process.

___

roger- Just to point out I'm not blowing smoke, (pungency aside) I disagreed strongly with Sotomayor when she blocked the ACA contraception mandate.

nailingit — May 7, 2014 at 4:13 p.m. ( | suggest removal

goldenoldie — May 7, 2014 at 2:14 p.m.

We need more republicans such as yourself investing in these issues. I appreciate your stance in the face of criticism from your peers.

It's a shame we're a two party system. I think we should have more viable options at election time.

But we are a two party system. (spoilers aside)

Anyway, I think if you reached down in your soul, grabbed your political leanings by their collective throats and shined a spotlight on them, the word Democrat would appear.

Join us.....

nailingit — May 7, 2014 at 4:20 p.m. ( | suggest removal

"If one really wants to get to the heart of "the story" it may take quite a bit of time."

vanwadreamer — May 7, 2014 at 12:46 p.m.

I decided to "take a bit of time" to review your .. "story".

Come to find out it's the NATIONAL ENQUIRER!

Man.......I gotta hand it to ya vanwa. You don't have any limits!

"…For the moment, they are allegedly sleeping in separate bedrooms after Mr Obama’s attempt to ‘mend fences’ backfired so badly on a recent Christmas getaway to Hawaii that he returned to Washington with their two daughters, leaving his wife behind.

The National Enquirer, it must be said, quoted only anonymous insiders in support of these sensational claims, and is hardly the most reliable source of hard news."

nailingit — May 7, 2014 at 4:54 p.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — May 7, 2014 at 4:54 p.m

You know, now that I think about it, his stories do have a grocery store check out line slant to them.

Way to hit it out of the park, Vanwa!!!

Hawkman — May 7, 2014 at 5:04 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Is the National Enquirer still around? Now, that's some 'litter' Benton could troll the stormdrains for...

jacjak — May 7, 2014 at 5:13 p.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — May 7, 2014 at 4:20 p.m.

Nails, you brought a smile to my face with your post.

Thankfully, I do not make decisions in my life based upon what political party with which I am registered. I don't follow the leader of the lemmings. I follow my conscience and I follow what I perceive as fact, even if I may be right or wrong...but it's a conscientious decision I would live with. As far as criticism from my peers...my fellow members of our community (of the world for that matter) are my peers, not any particular political or religious faction, even if I do reference one more than the other....and Lord knows how much I've been criticized by my peers!!!

Nails, I think you'll find there's many more people such as myself who AREN'T afraid to accept scientific data as fact. And regarding the theory behind the Big Bang...someone or some thing had to get the ball rolling. Humans have just given it/him/her a name. Anybody hungry for spaghetti tonight???

8))

goldenoldie — May 7, 2014 at 5:24 p.m. ( | suggest removal

godenoldie @5:24

LOL...yeap, spaghetti is for dinner. How'd you know? SIL makes incredible sauce so each year at Christmas that is my gift request from him. He gives me 12 pint containers, and once a month it is carb heaven. Tonight's the night...Oh boy!

jacjak — May 7, 2014 at 5:37 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Oh...and one more thing, nails.

Scientific theory is just that...theory...something which can later be proven to be incorrect. It's happened before and could happen again. Because of that possibility, I do not always accept all scientific theory as fact. In regards to climate change...it's pretty brainless to deny that which is happening before our very eyes and has been happening for many centuries. The world is constantly evolving. New volcanoes formed...new islands formed...old islands destroyed. Smaller coastlines, higher water levels...forests dying off from infestations and disease as well as from lack of water. Mudslides wiping out entire communities. Centuries-old glaciers disappearing, heavier rainwater totals in one region of the world while other regions are wiped out by drought of epic proportions.

My questions are...if humans have caused the problem of speeding up a natural course of the earth's evolution, is it already too far advanced for humans to stop the change? Can we slow down the process for future generations or do we just need to learn to adapt???

I believe our government is pressing for the final 2-part question as a possibility, maybe the reasoning for the push for people to listen. We need to preserve what viable farm land is still available before it's all wiped off the planet... hence the push for new methods of agriculture...sad to say it includes genetic engineering. We may have no choice.

Oh lordie!!! No wonder Monsanto has so many backers...8'(

goldenoldie — May 7, 2014 at 5:38 p.m. ( | suggest removal

goldenoldie — May 7, 2014 at 5:24 p.m.

I'll take mine with a meatball & an italian sausage. A huge salad, breadsticks...I think I just talked myself into hitting Olive Garden one of these days. We don't eat out much anymore. I'd rather save the $, and most times disappointed with the quality in most places as to what I could cook myself. The Garden does have some really good pasta dishes.

Anyway. To support a party in a two party system is not being a lemming of any sort. As I've said, the Dems support more of what I believe in than republicans. I have voted the other side of the aisle before, but not often. They just don't represent what I believe as much.

Yesterday's conservative fringe has become today's mainstream republicanism.

So many good people are leaving.

I sense something within you. A yearning. A longing. A desire to hold your head high when asked what your party of choice is come election time and contributions. Consider where you stand on climate change, equal pay for women, gun regulation, fighting starvation, and lastly, most importantly, for truth, justice, and the American way.

Join us...

nailingit — May 7, 2014 at 5:48 p.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — May 7, 2014 at 4:13 p.m.

Frankly, if up to me, I'd fire the whole lot of them. And Sotomajor would be among the first. She decides cases based on some interpretation of "fairness doctrine" rather than the Constitution, law and previous decisions. Just as bad as Scalia and Alito and their biased rulings - they could all leave together.

roger — May 7, 2014 at 6:34 p.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — May 7, 2014 at 4:13 p.m.

"Pure obfuscation in your earlier post - my point was clear, and you tap danced your way around it."

No it wasn't. And no I didn't.

nailingit — May 7, 2014 at 6:48 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Clark County to fill board vacancy April 11

(Understanding wormhole back in time travel isn't possible yet, I assume the C's headline is a little misleading. The vacancy will be filled May 27th)

Not to sound conspiratorial about this May 27 announcement or anything, but it's rumored there is a mysterious reason why this date was chosen.

My money is on:

1907 - Bubonic Plague breaks out in SF

nailingit — May 7, 2014 at 6:51 p.m. ( | suggest removal

^It's been corrected^

nailingit — May 7, 2014 at 6:56 p.m. ( | suggest removal

I suppose I'll figure what'll copy over someday.

Three from The Kinks - One of my favorite groups. The second and third are Sleepwalker and Celluloid Heroes.

roger — May 8, 2014 at 5:44 a.m. ( | suggest removal

jacjak and nails, my reference to spaghetti wasn't necessarily in regards to dinner...8))

Nails, I prefer to remain independent of either side. Oops...does that mean...could I be...am I...am I...

Nope. I won't label myself an Independent, either...just an independent thinker. Thanks for the offer anyhow.

goldenoldie — May 8, 2014 at 5:55 a.m. ( | suggest removal

goldenoldie — Nails, I prefer to remain independent of either side.

That doesn't sound like a registered republican to me. :)

Please don't go the Indy route. It's too easy. Just criticizing without supporting anything mires the process.

nailingit — May 8, 2014 at 6:52 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Imagine RW reaction if the left embraced this type of guy and invited him to a SOTU address, purely based on his hate rhetoric for a mongrel republican president. Although not surprised by the would be double standard, I'm continually amazed at who right wingers embrace as a spokesperson. (At least DuckDude has a cool beard)

-Ted Nugent's Jailbait Problem-

nailingit — May 8, 2014 at 9:52 a.m. ( | suggest removal

The most Republican company in America makes Wonder Bread
Dylan Stableford, Yahoo News

Given its billionaire conservative founders, you might think the most Republican company in the country based on political donations is Koch Industries. You'd be wrong.

According to the New York Times, Thomasville, Ga.-based Flowers Foods — which makes Wonder Bread and Tastykakes — has given 99.5 percent of its political contributions since 1979 to GOP candidates.

That's over 10 percent more than Koch, which has given 88.1 percent of its political contributions to Republicans.

In fact, there are 10 other American companies that have given a bigger share of their political donations to GOP candidates than Koch, according to the Times' analysis of Federal Election Commission data:

∙ Illinois Tool Works: 95.9 percent
∙ Cooper Industries: 93.6 percent
∙ Devon Energy: 93 percent)
∙ Bloomin' Brands (formerly Outback Steakhouse): 93 percent
∙ Eaton: 92.7 percent
∙ Timken: 91.7 percent
∙ Marathon Petroleum: 91.7 percent
∙ ExxonMobil: 90.2 percent
∙ Halliburton: 90.2 percent
∙ Anadarko Petroleum: 90 percent

Branch Banking and Trust, at 88.1 percent, is tied for 12th with Koch Industries, according to the Times' list.

By contrast, the most Democratic-leaning company in America by percentage of donations is Citizens Financial Group, which has given more than three quarters (77.5 percent) of its $1 million in political contributions to the party.

Flowers Food's political action committee has supported just three Democrats since 1984, and not one in 20 years, the Times reports. The publicly traded company, which has "been delivering quality baked foods at a good value for more than 80 years," had sales of $3.75 billion in 2013.

Overall, Koch has given far more money to Republicans than Flowers Foods. According to OpenSecrets.org, the privately held Koch has made $1.4 million in political contributions in the 2014 cycle, including $816,000 to Republican congressional candidates ($12,000 to Democrats).

Through April 20, Flowers Foods' PAC has contributed $95,000 to GOP groups, including $7,500 to South Carolina congressional candidate Mark Sanford and Texas Sen. John Cornyn.

Hawkman — May 8, 2014 at 11:43 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Now just maybe, Benton can go after Wonder Bread wrappers in the storm drains because I'm sure there are just as many of them in there as there are newspapers!

Hawkman — May 8, 2014 at 12:39 p.m. ( | suggest removal

NAIL-

Pic is worth a thousand words. From your most quoted from news source.. You can now connect the dots from there. Use your brain and if that doesn't work check with your wife or Significant other if you cant figure out why he has flown around the world without her since.. Have you ever seen such scorn ...YIKES

vanwadreamer — May 8, 2014 at 1:09 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Coming to you next Fall on the CW

iZombie comes from the creator of Veronica Mars and centers on a med student/zombie who gets a job at a coroner's office for a fresh supply of brains, but when she eats the brains, she gets the person's memories and uses them to help solve murders.

Hawkman — May 8, 2014 at 1:31 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Goldenoldie and nailingit,

During the 1984 election, I really considered registering as an Independent. 1980 was bad enough, but really was hoping my party would put forth a candidate with substance. Nothing against Mondale, he had supported the ERA, but all he had in '84 was what Reagan was doing wrong w/ all the budget deficits, prophetic, or not. I know that's all any of them have these days is stuff about how bad the other guy is, but back then it was expected that at least *something* be brought to the table to call one's own. Plus, I didn't like Ferraro. Politically, it was discouraging.

Actually, there was no real registration called 'Independent' back then, it was referred to as 'unaffiliated' tho neither name showed as a choice on a voter registration card that I remember. Independent voters became more popular later, in the late 90's. That whole thing of debating with myself in that election showed me I needed to pick a side, then work to make that side work for me. It's been an education ever since, and I'm glad for it.

So, the personal story is to show I understand the desire to have options, even tho it wasn't for me. But wanted to mention the dark side of the Independent registration. They even gave it a name... 'Raiding'. This allows one party to cross over and vote within the primary of an opponent's party, effectively allowing their own party to help select their opponent's candidate. The advantage would be during the general election to their own party. Some states no longer allow Independents to vote in the primaries for this reason.

jacjak — May 8, 2014 at 2:41 p.m. ( | suggest removal

vanwadreamer — May 8, 2014 at 1:09 p.m.

LOL!!

nailingit — May 8, 2014 at 3:18 p.m. ( | suggest removal

jacjak — May 8, 2014 at 2:41 p.m.

My moment came after I voted for Andre' Marrou in 92'. I used to cherry pick (as so many do) libertarian low hanging fruit that suited me. I realized I needed to grow up (politically) and settle with a party that best represented my values with a progressive direction.

Independents have it made. They can drive both parties into the ground and say I told you so without assuming any responsibility. Criticize without offering substantive ideas of their own. Of course there are many exceptions, and whining is a bi(tri?)-partisan affair.

When it comes to my money and investing personal time, I'll give it to candidates who have a liberal progressive view of society, not those who would take us back in time while beating the war drums.

I think it's hard for some to accept time does not stand still. It moves forward.

nailingit — May 8, 2014 at 4:03 p.m. ( | suggest removal

This is 'interesting' tho probably should use the word 'scary'...

The interactive was found w/ this article.... and while Goldenoldie and others worry about future food sources politicians play at being science experts because they know the bread they butter today will be their own. Tomorrow's problems can just go eat cake.

jacjak — May 8, 2014 at 5:01 p.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — May 8, 2014 at 4:03 p.m. -- [Disclaimer: Opinion about Indy's not intended for self proclaimed Basementendents]

But I've said more than once that I want to drive both parties into the ground. They're both corrupt - time to replace them with new faces, and maybe we'll all be gone by the time they approach the same.

roger — May 8, 2014 at 6:01 p.m. ( | suggest removal

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure." -- TJ

That doesn't necessarily have to mean violent revolution. If we've half as good a form of government as we believe, then it can be done at the polls.

roger — May 8, 2014 at 6:06 p.m. ( | suggest removal

"Here is my Creed. I believe in one God, the Creator of the Universe. That He governs it by His Providence. That He ought to be worshipped." -- BJ

At least these guys were a few years removed from burning witches.

nailingit — May 8, 2014 at 7:57 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Anyone have a take on Clippers Sterling's ban from the NBA? Stripped of ownership?

nailingit — May 8, 2014 at 8:04 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkman — May 8, 2014 at 1:31 p.m.

Who said TV couldn't get any better...

nailingit — May 8, 2014 at 8:36 p.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — May 8, 2014 at 8:04 p.m.,

I think the Commish is making a stretch on his interpretation of the league by-laws. There is a specific set of circumstances for which an owner can be barred, and they're related to throwing games or interfering with other team's players.

I think the other owners will have to back the Commish on his move; the Players Assn will demand it. (They probably already have.) You can bet no NBA player will ever play for a Sterling owned team, and that both the League and the Players Assn will cover resulting contractual lawsuits and penalties. And I suspect the League can also refuse to schedule games.

And I expect it will end up in court, and any decision appealed. The final ruling will probably be the same as other sports lawsuits - they'll decide an organization has the right to police itself.

roger — May 9, 2014 at 6:41 a.m. ( | suggest removal

-Atheist TV Channel Coming Soon To A Screen Near You-

STANFORD, Calif. (RNS) Move over, Christian televangelists. Atheism is coming to television.

Speaking at a gathering of local atheists, humanists, freethinkers and other nontheists in a chemistry lecture hall at Stanford University, David Silverman, president of American Atheists, a national advocacy group for nontheists, announced Tuesday (May 6) that his New Jersey-based organization would launch the first television channel dedicated to atheism in July.

Maybe the first show to address Ronnie's twinkle.

(first episode: Zombie atheists dine on Reagan's brain, finding out his "complicated" relationship with Ollie North, many times went Ollie South to the disappointment of Nancy)

nailingit — May 9, 2014 at 6:47 a.m. ( | suggest removal

roger — May 9, 2014 at 6:41 a.m.

I can't imagine stripping this guy of ownership because of a back room conversation. Let the free markets decide this imo. I can understand the league ban, but not giving up ownership.

nailingit — May 9, 2014 at 6:50 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — May 8, 2014 at 6:52 a.m.

Nails...actions speak louder than words. I'm not going any route...8))

jacjak — May 8, 2014 at 5:01 p.m.

Herein lies the problem. It's not just about rising temperatures and higher tides. It's about ALL global weather extremes.

Ever wonder how bananas and olives can now grow and thrive in the Pacific NW??? Some may say it's because we've become warmer here...

...but that's not totally accurate.

It is my opinion that growers have produced strains of what is typically grown in warmer climates, and these new strains now grow in our region because of the issues of climate change IN the warmer regions and the hazards they are facing due to destruction of crops.

In regards to drought and the issues of livestock/poultry...

It is my guess that the recent push for backyard farms over the past few years is to engage the people in becoming more independent of the retail market due to the loss of livestock and poultry over the past several years. Same goes for growing your own veggies and fruit...quite a push over the past few years.

My suggestion for anyone thinking of revamping their landscaping needs...

Try out the idea of edible landscaping. Include herbs, vegetables, fruits and even edible flowers into your design! You'd be surprised that even in the smallest of yards...just how much you could produce...and it tastes so much better than what you get in the grocery store!

Have a great weekend, everyone and

Happy Mother's Day to all you fellow Mom's and Grandma's out there in Columbianland!!!

goldenoldie — May 9, 2014 at 7:35 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — May 8, 2014 at 8:04 p.m.

I think Sterling is done. However, his wife, I believe, may end up with the team. I think she is a joint owner and my guess is that the only reason she is still married to the bum is because of the team and his money. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Hawkman — May 9, 2014 at 8:31 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Well, there's another hat in the ring for County Commissioner. This should be interesting. I wonder how much "Madore" money she'll get. If elected, he could control the whole shooting match.

Hawkman — May 9, 2014 at 9:23 a.m. ( | suggest removal

goldenoldie — Happy Mom's day to you goldenoldie.

___

Hawkman — May 9, 2014 at 8:31 a.m.

I've also thought that his wife will just take it over. But you never know. This butthead isn't backing down as of yet.

According to Wiki, Sterling began to make his fortune as a Divorce/Personal Injury attorney. Doesn't surprise me.

Of all the players he dissed on, Magic is probably the most beloved B-Ball player over the years. One wonders how pervasive these racist opinions are with the 1%. My guess is, given privileged lifestyles, a little bit more so than the general pop. Who knows. I'm sure they'd answer honestly if surveyed. Not. :)

nailingit — May 9, 2014 at 10:50 a.m. ( | suggest removal

NAIL-
I would have to agree with you there. NBA and all pro leagues have a huge racist undercurrent. It may be somewhat better today than say the 80-90 but not much more. You have Black's using the N word to each other regularly. These 1% are more than privileged their entitled in their minds..If you and I started calling each other a Cracker and the exchanged caught someones attention law wise they would come to intervene, but if two black guys were using the N word that would most likely go untouched...Hey just a couple Dudes talking....Sports and Athletes have their own culture now more than ever. Always asking for forgiveness after the fact... Having money does help.. Sterling is an ol white dude that hasn't changed over the years. But there are allot of minorities that haven't changed either... More gangs now than ever before. Lots of opinions why but I' will leave mine alone....
As for Stewart throwing her hat in the Ring. Geez can we get anymore retreads.... We need fresh blood with fresh ideas... It's like reading the same book over and over expecting a different outcome , the one you want but that aint happening. We might as well bring that Blowhard Pollard off the sidewalk and have him run.. I didn't really mean it... Where is Jeannie Harris???
Anyone that lives in the Lincoln area going to Latte' Da on Monday 12th to listen and speak to the oil folks from Tesoro and Savage??? Should be interesting...Happy Mothers day to all the Mothers out there.

vanwadreamer — May 9, 2014 at 12:55 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Yet another hearing....sigh. How many is this now? Thought the republicans already had a hearing or two about Benghazi. Waterboarding will probably come next...

jacjak — May 9, 2014 at 2:19 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Finally, someone has the right idea about freedom of information...

jacjak — May 9, 2014 at 4:03 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Back from voluntary exile overseas, where I was on assignment for a top secret project. :) I hardly thought about Clark County, but missed checking in with you all,for sure.

Goldie: did you buy a subscription finally? Happy Mother's Day to you, too. :)

Hawk: I don't think Jeanne Stewart will go along with the boyz all the time if she wins the election. I hope she socks Madore squarely in his pretty teeth the next time he calls her "Princess."

Princess this, pal. :) Ka-pow!

Oh, that I'd love to see.

manthou — May 9, 2014 at 4:59 p.m. ( | suggest removal

vanwadreamer — May 9, 2014 at 12:55 p.m.

As a society, I don't think it's as important to respect one another, as it is to simply accept one another.

I agree with you about Stewart. It's why she lost last election. I wonder what is motivating her.

And vanwa...happy muthersday. :)

And about your National Enquirer fixation:

vvv

nailingit — May 9, 2014 at 6:39 p.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — May 9, 2014 at 6:40 p.m. ( | suggest removal

jacjak — May 9, 2014 at 2:19 p.m.

I wish people held their representatives to a higher standard.

This Benghazi charade has gone on long enough. If you haven't seen this, check it out.

-Lawmaker Ignores His Own Facts To Make Debunked Benghazi Claim-

nailingit — May 9, 2014 at 6:42 p.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou — May 9, 2014 at 4:59 p.m.

Welcome back! I'll call off the posse.

nailingit — May 9, 2014 at 6:44 p.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou @ 4:59

Exiled, and overseas? Not the Riviera, then...

Welcome home! Missed your close-ups from around the county.

jacjak — May 9, 2014 at 7:29 p.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit @ 6:42 p.m.

Those representatives are looking for anything,at this point and it's not alllll about Obama. It's also a preemptive on Hillary and 2016. If they can crank up the screech loud enough perhaps a few more will slide over into the abyss of spin, snarl, shut down. If it's REALLY about the death of every American through a failure of leadership, they'd have to have investigative hearings from now til hell freezes over on Iraq.

jacjak — May 9, 2014 at 7:48 p.m. ( | suggest removal

jacjak — May 9, 2014 at 7:48 p.m.

If it truly is about the death of every American through failure of leadership, wouldn't they eventually have to blame themselves? Unless the "trickle down theory" doesn't really work.

Hawkman — May 9, 2014 at 7:57 p.m. ( | suggest removal

jacjak — May 9, 2014 at 7:48 p.m.

I'm glad The Hill has been through the fire and then some. She's well equipped to take on anything that comes her way. These guys are going to cry wolf so many times, when something of substance does come up, they won't be taken seriously. They can't 'swiftboat' The Hill. Her creds to my mind, are perhaps the finest ever offered up for POTUS. (assuming she's running-I can't imagine her not)

Looking forward to the debates. I'm hoping they'll push Hillary into more of a progressive direction.

POTUS is her destiny.

nailingit — May 9, 2014 at 10:11 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Vancouver Downtown Association is launching a new food cart lunch party on Tuesdays at Turtle Place. If you are in the vicinity on that day, try it out:

Turtle Place Tuesdays = Vancouver's first "Food Cart Pod" experiment!

Starting Tuesday the 13th, the City of Vancouver has something very cool planned for Turtle Place! Here's the scoop:

Turtle Place Tuesdays

Between May and September, food carts will be serving up lunch in Turtle Place every Tuesday. This is a pilot program designed to promote Turtle Place as a community gathering place. Stop in to grab lunch and support new food businesses, or bring your own lunch and enjoy the sunshine. Every Tuesday, 11am-3pm, Turtle Place (7th Street between Washington & Main).

manthou — May 10, 2014 at 9:07 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Hey - Welcome back, Manthou. Hope your trip was a fun one.

Nails was spas'ing & thinking you found greener pastures to play in. Now he can relax.

I'm thinking Gov Inslee will end up approving the oil transfer point here. His power base is the Puget Sound area, and the Tesoro operation will transfer the crude to ships, and cut way back on the number of oil trains going through the cities to the north to get to the refineries there.

roger — May 10, 2014 at 12:38 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Welcome home Manthou. We missed ya.
Roger, I think you are correct. SW WA is not on the radar for Oly people. We tend to get forgotten, and cities to the north are getting taken care of. Personally, I am against the crud going through here hour after hour. I do believe this is a great and beautiful spot and we could do better conserving it.

A late comment on the Nugent saga. I took a few minutes to read the comments on his cancellation and had to laugh. Sure brought lots of comments. No matter what you believe about his spouting off, can someone tell me why people consider this dude such a patriot? He did dodge the draft (in a very unsavory manner), gets tickets for breaking hunting laws, doesn't really contribute much to anything - and he is a patriot? Considering his statements, I must think the people who call him such tend to agree with him. Meaning we sure got a lot of - what shall I call them - here in Clark C.

luvithere — May 10, 2014 at 2:24 p.m. ( | suggest removal

luvithere and roger: Thanks for the welcome back. I had a fantastic time. Still waking up at 2 am because my brain thinks it's noon.

roger: I, too, am intrigued by your theory that Inslee will be forced by the powerful King and Thurston counties up North to approve the Tesoro/Savage facility here. You might be correct. We are small potatoes to the big picture politics in our state.

I also want to say, as much as the guy makes me ill, that the attempt to muzzle Nugent made no sense to me. Free speech is free speech, even if offensive to some. It would have caused the CC Fair no end of trouble,though, with the dueling factions (maybe literally).

manthou — May 10, 2014 at 4:24 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Rambitious. Sounds pretty cool.

-China Says It Wants To Build Massive Railway To America-

China has announced an ambitious engineering plan to build a bullet train railway to America, state media reported Thursday.

The massive railway network, nicknamed "China-Russia-Canada-America," would run north from China, through Siberia and Russia, under the Pacific Ocean to Alaska, then down through Canada to the contiguous United States, The Guardian reports.

The trip from China to the contiguous U.S. would take less than two days, with trains traveling about 217 mph, according to The Beijing Times. China will reportedly fund the construction of the 8,079 miles of railway track, including a 125-mile underwater tunnel across the Bering Strait from Russia to Alaska.

nailingit — May 10, 2014 at 4:36 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Nails-sure that was HuffPo, not Onion?

luvithere — May 10, 2014 at 5:03 p.m. ( | suggest removal

luvithere — I did a double take also. Those wacky chinese! :)

nailingit — May 10, 2014 at 6:02 p.m. ( | suggest removal

I'm not sure it's possible or wise to build that tunnel for the train. The seas are probably too rough for a construction barge. And isn't there a fair amount of seismic activity in the area?

roger — May 10, 2014 at 6:34 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Guessing game time. 2:00 a.m. here is noon where? Greece, South Africa, Finland?

roger — May 10, 2014 at 6:59 p.m. ( | suggest removal

WOW, long drive today. I'm in Jackpot Nevada. Tomorrow to Vegas. Hey Nail, anything you need? Or anybody for that matter? Made it to Boise on one tank of gas. How come gas is cheaper in Boise and here for that matter? Like 60 cents cheaper.

Anyway, Manthou, glad you are back, I was sick all week but much better now. Well have to get some sleep. See ya'll later. And will someone tell GO that I really am Hawkeye in disguise?

Hawkman — May 10, 2014 at 9:26 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkman —

Nah. Thanks for asking though. I'd ask you bring back a little sunshine, but it looks like we're in for some here. Watch out for the nuts on the road.

nailingit — May 11, 2014 at 5:58 a.m. ( | suggest removal

roger — May 10, 2014 at 6:59 p.m.

Athens, Greece
Helsinki, Finland
Nairobi, Kenya
Kyiv, Ukraine

just to name a few.

Manthou...welcome back and no, I haven't subscribed. I'm on "borrowed" time...8))

goldenoldie — May 11, 2014 at 8:29 a.m. ( | suggest removal

BUY HIGH QUALITY FAKE AND REAL PASSPORT,ID CARDS,DRIVING LICENSE,DOLLAR/EUROS BILLS

Our company has years of experience producing fake and real passports and other identity documents. We use high quality equipment and materials to produce counterfeit documents. All secret features of real passports are
carefully duplicated for our falsified documents.we are unique producer of
quality fake documents.
We offer only original high-quality fake passports, driver's licenses, ID
cards, stamps, Visa, school Diplomes and other products for a number of
countries like:USA, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Italia, Finland,
France, Germany, Israel, Mexico, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain, United
Kingdom. This list is not full.
To get further more detailed information about our high quality fake
passports/driving licenses/id cards/ stamps, Visa, school Diplomes and