On Further Review: Camas star Owen misses game, may miss next week

Shelton fills big shoes in win over Sherwood




Camas was without senior wide receiver Drake Owen for Friday night’s 34-12 road win over Sherwood (Ore.).

Owen, who had 12 catches for 203 yards and two touchdowns in the Papermakers’ Week 1 win over Central Catholic of Portland, was suspended for a school-related issue, said Camas coach Jon Eagle, who didn’t elaborate further.

“We had a pair of shoes missing tonight,” Eagle said. “A guy had to fill them.”

That guy was senior Ja’Michael Shelton, who had six catches for 137 yards and a touchdown. Shelton, a 6-foot-4, 205-pounder who starts at defensive end, showed off both his speed and his strength on back-to-back catches in the first quarter that helped Camas establish control of the game.

Shelton blew by his man on a 45-yard pass play that got the Papermakers out from under the shadow of their goalpost. Two plays later, he outmuscled DB Takumi Kammerzell, who had perfect position to defend the pass, then shrugged Kammerzell off him to race into the end zone for a 44-yard score.

“Tell me another starting defensive lineman who can make catch passes and make touchdowns like that at receiver,” Eagle said in awe after joshing with Shelton as he and his mother walked past.

The Papermakers may be without Owen against for next week’s home game against Davis of Yakima, but with targets like Shelton and Ryan Rushall (eight catches, 59 yards, TD), senior quarterback Kyle Allen isn’t fazed.

“We have so many good receivers that, yes, it hurt us not having Drake obviously, but we have guys like Ja’Michael, guys who can create space and just make my job way easier by getting open and making the tough catches,” said Allen, who was 16-for-21 for 219 yards and two TDs.

Eagle had nothing but positives to say about Allen’s game as well.

“That’s another week in a row that he had a tremendous performance,” Eagle said. “I was especially pleased with his decision-making and his execution.”

River’s Tullis suffers dislocated knee

Columbia River senior Ryan Tullis suffered a dislocated knee in Friday’s loss to Tumwater, Chieftain coach Christian Swain said Saturday.

Swain said no bones were broken and MRI is pending.

“It was a bad one,” Swain said of the injury. “He might’ve torn every ligament.”

The injury occurred in the final minute of Friday’s 56-6 loss when Tullis caught a pass across the middle and a player fell on his leg as he stretched for a first down.

“His leg went one way,” Swain said, “and his knee went another way.”

Swain said Tullis was in good spirits leaving the field by ambulance Friday night. Tullis said in part on social media Saturday, “thanks for all the support guys.”

Catch of the night

The most memorable play of Union’s 26-21 win over Mountain View on Friday may have been the most surprising play.

The Titans were chewing up yards and clock, rushing for 32 yards on six straight running plays when the clock stopped with 51 seconds left and the Titans facing third-and-6 at the Mountain View 47.

Another running play would like allow Union to run the clock down to 20 seconds. If the Titans didn’t get the the first down, they could punt to Mountain View, leaving the Thunder with about 10 seconds to pull off a miracle.

But then Darien Chase pulled a miraculous catch to seal the win for the Titans.

Quarterback Lincoln Victor rolled out to the right, looking for a receiver underneath.

“The coaches said .. get what you can get, but if not, just take off running and let’s get out of here,” Victor said. “But I knew I had the (defensive back) pressed up on Cover-2 man, so I thought ‘let’s taake on final shot.’ ”

Chase ran a deep out pattern, then turned upfield into open space. Victor threw a deep ball that Chase snagged with a diving, one-handed grab inside the 20 to seal the win.

“Hell of a catch,” Victor said. “That’s all I can say.”

Painful loss for Bruins

Columbia-White Salmon made the long trip to Elma on Friday and came home with a heartbreaking 35-34 defeat.

Playing without seven injured starters the entire second half, everything still looked good for the Bruins when they scored two quick touchdowns to end the third quarter.

Chandlor Bucklin returned a kickoff 80 yards for a touchdown then later added a 27-yard interception return for a score that gave Columbia a 34-21 lead heading into the fourth quarter.

The Bruins had a 34-28 lead late in the fourth and the ball, looking to seal the win. The Bruins needed to run one more play, then they’d be able to run out the clock.

Instead, the Bruins fumbled, Elma recovered, then drove downfield for the winning touchdown.