Friday, December 2, 2022
Dec. 2, 2022

Linkedin Pinterest

English bulldog theft suspect appears in court


A man who allegedly stole an English bulldog puppy at gunpoint at Clackamas Town Center in Oregon on Friday made his first appearance in Clark County Superior Court on Monday.

Jajuane Daeshawn Etheridge, 23, appeared in court on suspicion of first-degree possession of stolen property and unlawful possession of a firearm. Court documents indicate he gave the puppy to his ex-girlfriend’s daughter in Vancouver.

Judge Diane Woolard set bail at $100,000 and appointed attorney Art Bennett to represent him.

Etheridge, who is listed as a transient, was arrested after a three-hour SWAT standoff Sunday at 4710 Plomondon St. No. 14. Police found the stolen dog, Harpo, unharmed in a suitcase at the apartment. Harpo is valued at $2,000.

Police were tipped off to the dog’s location after Etheridge’s ex-girlfriend saw a story on the bulldog robbery, Vancouver police Officer James Watson wrote in a probable cause affidavit filed with the court. She went online and learned the suspect’s description matched her ex-boyfriend’s and that the suspect used a silver handgun: she owns one and knows Etheridge had access to it. The puppy that she had also matched the photos of the stolen one posted in the news story, Watson said.

She called 911 and police responded.

Etheridge was taken into custody after the standoff. Police officers noticed a suitcase that was moving a bit and found Harpo inside.

The dog was allegedly taken from Jim and Pat Steele, who raise English bulldogs near Oregon City, Ore. The arrangement was for the suspect to buy two dogs in the shopping center parking lot for $4,000, but the suspect displayed a gun and made off with one dog, Harpo, a 9-pound pup who is about 10 weeks old.

According to the affidavit, a car matching the description of one used in the robbery and a silver handgun were recovered at the scene.

Etheridge has four felony convictions and an out-of-state warrant, according to court documents.

Arraignment was set for Nov. 2.