People in business
• Vancouver Attorney Don Jacobs was awarded the title Clark County Trial Lawyer of the Year at the Barrister’s Ball in Vancouver on Feb. 28. The Clark County Bar Association presents the award each year to a civil or criminal trial lawyer to recognize outstanding achievements by an attorney in court. Jacobs operates the NW Injury Law Center in Vancouver. He has been practicing law in Vancouver for 36 years. Jacobs is a former member of the Board of Governors of the Washington State Association for Justice and a past president of the Oregon Trial Lawyers Association.
• Local law firm Landerholm, P.S. has elected three additional shareholders to its legal team. Bradley W. Andersen, Timothy J. Calderbank and Marshall K. Stagg are now shareholders with the firm.
Two associates have been added to the firm: George J. Souris, who will have an emphasis on the areas of estate and probate, construction, contractual issues, and real estate and employment disputes, and Laura S. Nelson, who will primarily handle estate planning, probate and trust administration and guardianships.
• Megan Dixon has been selected as director of development for Clark County Food Bank. Dixon, a graduate of Washington State University Vancouver, will lead fundraising efforts. She has eight years of experience as a development professional working with local social service agencies. Dixon previously worked at the Idaho Food Bank.
• The Hispanic Metropolitan Chamber, a local chapter of the U.S. Hispanic Chamber that serves Oregon and Southwest Washington, has added Paulina Almaraz as a scholarship and event coordinator. Almaraz will be responsible for providing bilingual and bicultural information to students and parents and holding workshops on how to finance a higher education. The Hispanic Chamber has awarded $1.7 million in scholarships to 673 Latino students in Oregon and Southwest Washington since 1996.
New business news
• Michael Buys, a licensed mental health counselor, has recently started Vancouver Counseling Group at 1104 Main St., Suite 300. Staff includes Connie Hess, a licensed mental health counselor; Donna Haney and Pamela Webster, clinical social workers; and Jason Blei, a marriage and family therapist. www.vancouvercounselinggroup.com.
The Columbian welcomes submissions about Clark County residents or businesses, as well as regional business events. Information must be received by noon of the Tuesday preceding the intended Sunday publication date. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax 360-735-4598.