Wednesday, July 8, 2020
July 8, 2020

Linkedin Pinterest

Man found dead now suspected in Dec. 29 robbery

His body, with fatal gunshot wounds, was discovered a day later

By , Columbian Assistant Metro Editor

Police say they believe a man found dead in Vancouver’s Image neighborhood was involved in the beating and robbery of an older man. Vincent R. Trevino, 23, was found dead a couple of miles away from the victim’s home, just hours after the assault.

A probable cause affidavit filed in Clark County Superior Court identifies four suspects, including Trevino, in the Dec. 29 beating of 63-year-old Douglas Hodgson.

Trevino’s body was discovered in the early morning hours of Dec. 30 near Northeast 126th Avenue and Northeast 28th Street, about 2 1/2 miles from Hodgson’s residence. Trevino died as a result of multiple gunshot wounds, according to the medical examiner, and his death was ruled a homicide. A suspect in his death has not yet been identified.

Three other suspects in the beating — Adrian Diaz Aguilar, 20, Jessica R. Tellez, 33, and Pedro Hernandez Jr., 40 — have all been arrested and appeared in Superior Court. Aguilar is facing charges of first-degree burglary, first-degree robbery and possession of a stolen motor vehicle; Tellez is facing first-degree burglary and second-degree identity theft; and Hernandez is facing first-degree burglary and first-degree assault.

Court records state that Hodgson was beaten into unconsciousness with metal pipes, and his wallet, containing debit cards, and a firearm were stolen. He suffered multiple rib, spine and facial fractures, deep head lacerations and brain bleeding.

Shots-fired call

Shortly after 4 a.m. Dec. 30, Vancouver police responded to reports of shots fired in the 12500 block of Northeast 28th Street and found Trevino’s body. The sole of one of his shoes was covered in blood, and police found a cellphone and “jiggler” key, used to pick car locks, in his possession, according to a probable cause affidavit.

A search of Trevino’s cellphone found Facebook messages he had sent to multiple people Dec. 29, which included a photo of a silver 2006 Hyundai Sonata that was reported stolen two days prior in Vancouver. Investigators also found messages discussing “hitting a lick,” slang for committing a robbery or burglary, the affidavit states.

Then on Jan. 1, Vancouver police responded to a residence in the 600 block of Northeast 124th Avenue for an assault.

Jason Hodgson told police he hadn’t heard from his father, Douglas Hodgson, for several days and was concerned about his welfare. When he went to check on him, he found the inside of the residence in disarray and blood on the floor, walls and items throughout the place, court documents say.

He found his father unconscious in a bedroom, and it was apparent he had been violently assaulted, the affidavit states.

Police searched Douglas Hodgson’s residence and determined he had been assaulted in the kitchen. There were shoe prints in dried blood — one of the patterns appeared to match Trevino’s shoes, police said. A large metal pipe covered in blood was also recovered, court records show.

A document titled “Agreement” was located in Hodgson’s bedroom, indicating a relationship between him and Tellez that he apparently wanted to end, according to court documents.

Various phone records, including information from a tracking app and text messages between Hodgson and Tellez, show that she contacted him at 4:29 p.m. Dec. 29. She asked if she could do her laundry at his residence, and he agreed. Tellez stopped by that evening when Hodgson left to get food. He returned home at 9:24 p.m., court records show. Police say they believe Hodgson was attacked shortly after he returned home.

The stolen Hyundai believed to have been used in the robbery was found Jan. 2 in the 2500 block of Northeast 138th Avenue. Investigators found blood and a metal pipe, matching the one found at the crime scene, inside the car, the affidavit states.

On Jan. 4, Hernandez turned himself in to the Department of Corrections office in Vancouver on an unrelated warrant. Tellez drove him there. Detectives questioned both of them about the assault and robbery.

Hernandez said it was Tellez’s idea to burglarize Hodgson’s residence. She went there to do her laundry, and Hernandez, Trevino and Aguilar were supposed to meet her there, he said. However, Hernandez decided he couldn’t go through with the plan, he said. He later met up with Tellez at a motel where the group was staying, and they left to Portland, court records say. Trevino and another woman were supposed to meet up with them, Hernandez said, but he never showed up.

Tellez told detectives that for several years, Hodgson has provided her with assistance, such as money, and that she went to his place that day to do laundry. He refused to give her money for food, but left to get her some. She left when he did, she said, and went back to the motel when he didn’t return and stopped responding to her messages and calls, according to court documents.

In his interview with investigators, Aguilar said he stayed outside during the robbery and acted as the lookout. He said he didn’t know what happened inside Hodgson’s residence. They later ditched the car, and Aguilar was instructed to wipe it down, the affidavit says.

Court records state the investigation is ongoing.