Saturday, December 4, 2021
Dec. 4, 2021

Linkedin Pinterest

Fire crews rescue goats from flaming Woodland barn

By , Columbian staff writer
Published:

A barn fire Monday morning in Woodland threatened the lives of three goats inside, according to Clark Cowlitz Fire Rescue. Crews were able to free the animals, but the barn was a total loss, Fire Chief John Nohr said.

The fire began when a heat lamp inside the barn fell from the windy storm that passed through the area Sunday and Monday, the Clark County Fire Marshal’s Office said.

Firefighters responded at 4:55 a.m. to 1307 N.W. 389th St., for reports of a barn on fire, with flames threatening the nearby house, according to Clark Cowlitz Fire Rescue.

A resident reported that they woke up to a bang and found the barn engulfed in flames. Three engines, a ladder truck and a water tender responded to the fire, along with 10 firefighters and a battalion chief, the department stated.

Crews grabbed bolt cutters and let the animals out of the flaming barn, Nohr said. Some goats were singed by the fire but appeared to be otherwise uninjured.

The fire was under control by 5:25 a.m.

The house was not damaged in the fire, but a motor home was damaged, according to the fire chief. The fire marshal’s office estimated the loss of the barn, equipment and items inside at about $125,000.

Assistant Fire Marshal Curtis Eavenson reminds people who use heat lamps to secure them to barns with more than the clips that come with heaters.

Tags
 
Loading...