Share, the local provider of services to homeless and hungry people, has announced its summer meal program.
Share’s Summer Meals program will operate from now to Aug. 12 at 13 locations, providing free meals to all children and teens 18 and younger. Meals must be eaten on site; no paperwork is needed and no personal information is collected.
“The goal of Share’s Summer Meals program is to provide support to families when school doors are closed, by providing a safe place for children to socialize and get a healthy meal,” said Becci Read-Ryan, meal and nutrition programs manager. “Nutrition is so important to overall wellness and quality of life. We strive to reduce barriers to food and give underserved populations the opportunity to access food they want to eat and food that will help them succeed.”
All meals sites, including dates and times during which meals will be served, can be viewed at sharevancouver.org/summer-meals-program; program information is also available in Spanish. Please note that no meals will be provided at any site location on July 4.
Share needs volunteers to prepare and deliver meals. For more information or to sign up for a volunteer shift, visit sharevancouver.org/volunteer/summer-meals-program-volunteer/ or contact Molly Evjen at email@example.com.
Volunteers must be 12 years or older to volunteer in a commercial kitchen and volunteers younger than 14 must be accompanied by an adult.
Below is a list of program locations, dates, times and addresses:
- Fruit Valley Elementary School: noon-12:30 p.m. Monday-Friday, June 27-July 22, 3410 N.W. Fruit Valley Road.
- Orchards Elementary School: noon-12:30 p.m. Monday-Friday, June 27-July 22, 11405 N.E. 69th St.
- Church at the Grove, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday through Aug. 11, 6004 N.E. 72nd Ave.
- Covington Commons, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, today-Aug. 11, 9703 N.E. 73rd St.
- Crestline Elementary School, noon-1 p.m. Monday-Friday, today-Aug. 12, 13003 S.E. Seventh St.
- Evergreen Park, noon-1 p.m. Monday-Friday, today-Aug. 12, 3500 E. Fourth Plain Blvd.
- Hough Elemntary School, noon-1 p.m. Monday-Friday, today-Aug. 12, 1900 Daniels St. #2535.
- Isabella Court II, noon-1 p.m. Monday-Thursday, June 27-Aug. 11, 3112 N.E. 62nd Ave.
- Prairie View Apartments, noon-1 p.m. Monday-Friday, June 27-Aug. 12, 12611 N.E. 99th St.
- Sarah J. Anderson Elementary School, noon-1 p.m. Monday-Friday, through Aug. 12, 2215 N.E. 104th St. #5641.
- Springfield Meadows, noon-1 p.m. Monday-Friday through Aug. 12, 4317 N.E. 66th Ave.
- Vancouver Community Library, noon-1 p.m. Monday-Friday, today-Aug. 12, 901 C St.
- YMCA of Columbia-Willamette, noon-1 p.m. Monday-Friday, through Aug. 12, 11324 N.E. 51st Circle.
Summer Meals is a federally funded, state-administered program that reimburses providers who serve free healthy meals to children and teens when school is not in session.