My husband and I have been working really hard to avoid sugar as much as possible, but here come the holidays, and all bets are off. We’ll try not to fall in to a sugar-induced stupor, but we know there are sweet treats ahead.
There is nothing wrong with store-bought goodies, so no judgment here. If you do want to make your holidays a bit more about “made from the heart” than “bought from a store,” the library has a variety of holiday baking books. I’ve selected a handful of titles to get you started including a title that uses ready-made mixes and crusts with a heartfelt helping of made-from-scratch intentions. And in the spirit of trying to avoid the typical holiday sugar rush, I’ve chosen a sugar-free and gluten-free cookbook.
Growing up, my mom had a list of Christmas goodies she baked every year which included Spritz cookies made with a cookie press, German Lebkuchen, Dot Chocolate Fudge, and Cut Out Butter Cookies With Frosting. The tradition was to bake the butter cookies Christmas Eve and then have the whole family spend the afternoon frosting and decorating Santas, reindeer, ornaments and other holiday shapes. This will always be one of my favorite holiday memories.
Whether you already have sweet treat traditions in your family or are ready to start traditions of your own, the library can act as your bibliographic cooking assistant.
While visions of sugar plums danced in their heads … – Clement Clark Moore
- “Baking for the Holidays: 50+ Treats for a Festive Season” by Sarah Kieffer.
- “Holiday and Celebration Bread in Five Minutes a Day: Sweet and Decadent Baking for Every Occasion” by Zoe Francois.
- “Holiday Cookies: The Ultimate Chewy, Gooey, Crispy, Crunchy Treats” by Alice Medrich.
- “Jewish Holiday Baking: Inspired Recipes for Rosh Hashanah, Hanukkah, Purim, Passover, and More” by Uri Scheft with Raquel Pelzel.
- “Norwegian Christmas Foods and Traditions: Dinners, Desserts, Cookies, Traditions, History, Songs and Lores” by Henrik H. Koch.
- “Out of the Box Holiday Baking: Gingerbread Cupcakes, Peppermint Cheesecake, and More Festive Semi-Homemade Sweets” by Hayley Parker.
- “True Comfort: More Than 100 Cozy Recipes Free of Gluten and Refined Sugar” by Kristin Cavallari.