First Max Daniels kept Ridgefield baseball in the game. Then he won it for the Spudders.
Ridgefield rallied from a 6-1 deficit to beat La Center 9-8 in nine innings in a wild game Tuesday at Ridgefield Outdoor Recreation Complex.
Trailing 7-4 in the seventh, Daniels came up with two outs and the bases loaded. He laced a triple to center field, scoring Deven Savella, Sam Clark and Colton Warren to force extra innings.
La Center’s Branson Castleberry delivered his own clutch moment in the top of the ninth. His two-out double drove in Justin Fuller and Smith Stimmel to put the Wildcats ahead 9-7.
But Ridgefield took advantage of wild pitching. The first four batters reached on walks, trimming the deficit to 8-7. That set the stage for Daniels, whose two-run single drove in the tying and winning runs.
Stars of the day
- Maddie Milhorn, Skyview softball, went 3 for 5 with two home runs, including a grand slam, in an 11-2 win over Columbia River. She drove in seven runs and pitched four innings, striking out seven.
- Caden Spanier, Skyview baseball, went 4 for 4 with two doubles and three RBI in an 8-4 win over Kelso.
- Chris Parkin, Columbia River baseball, went 2 for 2 with a double, triple and three runs scored in a 10-2 win over King’s Way Christian.
- Autumn Gaudet, King’s Way Christian softball, went 4 for 5 with a home run, a double, two RBI and five runs scored in a 16-5 win over Hudson’s Bay.
- Joseph Jenkins and Max Jenkins, Stevenson baseball, combined to throw a no-hitter and strike out 15 in a 9-0 win over Corbett (Ore.).
- Jaila Ellis, Heritage softball, went 3 for 5 with a home run, three runs scored and two RBI in a 15-7 win over Woodland.
- Jacob Martin, Mountain View baseball, went 4 for 6 with three doubles and three RBIs as the Thunder swept Heritage in a doubleheader, 6-3 and 11-0.
- Sam Soto, Seton Catholic boys soccer, scored five goals in a 8-0 win over Toledo-Winlock.
- Ryder Cole-Vogler, Hockinson soccer, had a goal and an assist in a 4-0 win over Hudson’s Bay.
- Rogelio Santillan-Guzman, Woodland boys soccer, had two goals and an assist in a 5-0 win over Washougal.
- Kayson Barnette, Ridgefield boys soccer, scored in the 58th minute to give the Spudders a 1-0 win over Fort Vancouver.