Evergreen baseball struck early then held on late to earn a 5-4 win over Prairie in a Class 3A Greater St. Helens League game on Thursday.
Cole Robinson’s two-out double drove in Cole Cuypers for the first of four runs Evergreen scored in the first inning. The Plainsmen also scored on a wild pitch, an error and a fielders choice.
Cuypers extended Evergreen’s lead to 5-0 in the second when he doubled then scored on a passed ball.
But Prairie wouldn’t fold. Colby Majewski blasted a three-run home run to key a four-run fourth inning.
Trevin Livingston earned a save for Evergreen, pitching two scoreless innings. He struck out four and allowed one hit and no walks.
Evergreen improved to 3-3 overall and took two of three games against Prairie in a series that opened league play for both teams.
Stars of the day
- Delaney Bollman, Evergreen softball, went 3 for 3 with a grand slam and seven RBI in a 16-6 win over Woodland.
- Layla Strand, Mountain View softball, went 3 for 3 and drove in six runs in a 15-5 win over King’s Way Christian.
- Devon Harris, Hockinson boys soccer, made six saves to earn a shutout in a 1-0 win over R.A. Long.
- Alex Harris, Columbia River boys soccer, scored a hat trick and had an assist in a 6-0 win over Fort Vancouver.
- Dylan Hamilton, Seton Catholic boys soccer, made six saves in regulation and overtime and helped the Cougars win a penalty-kick shootout 4-2 to beat King’s Way Christian 2-1.