Union’s boys tennis team pulled off a signature win of the 4A Greater St. Helens League season, knocking off the reigning state champions with a 4-2 win over Camas on Wednesday.
Rohan Thawani beat Leo Zhao 6-2, 6-3 in the No. 1 singles match. Alex Lin and Jacob Lee also won as the Titans swept the singles matches.
The tandems of Tommy James/Aiden Braiser and Kyle Wen/Nathan Chen notched victories for Camas. But Joseph Wei and Trevor Onions won the No. 3 doubles match 6-4, 6-2 to clinch the triumph for Union.
Union boys golf wins Titan Cup
Union boys golf beat Columbia River in the championship round to repeat as champions of the Titan Cup, an annual match-play event.
Union triumphed 6.5 to 3.5 in the final round at Heron Lakes after beating Camas 3-2 in Wednesday morning’s alternate-shot semifinals. Blake Sutton and Danny Carl won four straight holes after trailing by two to win 2 & 1 in a decisive semifinal match.
Mason Bluestein, Ty Sutton, Ty Rushing and Scott Whitman won both their matches for Union.
Columbia River edged Mountain View 3-2 in the semifinals.
Stars of the day
- Neftali Menendez, Columbia River boys cross country, covered 5,000 meters in 15 minutes, 40 seconds to win and lead the Rapids to a perfect score of 15 in a three-team meet at Vancouver Lake Regional Park.
- Ainsley Morrisey, Columbia River girls cross country, covered 5,000 meters in 20:28 to win and lead the Rapids to a team victory in a three-team meet at Vancouver Lake Regional Park.
- Elle Thomas, Washougal cross country, led the Panthers to victory in a four-team meet at David Douglas Park with a 5,000-meter winning time of 20:25.
- David Grice, Washougal boys cross country, led the Panthers to victory in a four-team meet at David Douglas Park with a 5,000-meter winning time of 19:41.
- Natalie O’Neil, King’s Way Christian volleyball, had 20 assists and 10 digs in a 3-0 win over Battle Ground just one night after 36 assists and 20 digs in a five-set marathon loss to Mountain View.