Sprinklers extinguish fire at Vancouver retirement center

By Paul Suarez, Columbian web producer

Published:

 

Two residents were taken to the hospital with injuries not believed to be life-threatening after a Friday morning fire at the Van Mall Retirement Community.

One suffered smoke inhalation and the other was experiencing chest pains, said Kevin Stromberg, firefighter-paramedic with the Vancouver Fire Department.

At 10:30 a.m., firefighters were at the retirement center, 7808 N.E. 51st St.

Residents evacuated themselves and seemed to be well prepared due to monthly fire alarm training, Stromberg said.

The fire originated in a paper shredder in a second-floor room, Stromberg said. The sprinkler system extinguished the fire by the time firefighters arrived.

The fire caused $20,000 in structural damage and $12,000 in loss of content, according to a release from the Vancouver Fire Department.