All-Region Girls Track and Field Athlete of the Year
Megan Kelley, Camas High School
Monday, June 13, 2011
• A self-described stronger, smarter sprinter than in years past, Kelley concluded her high school career with a Class 3A state championship in the 400.
• Ran a season-best time in the 200 at state, less than an hour after her 400 victory, and finished second.
• In a new event for her, she placed sixth in the 100.
• Anchored 1,600-relay team to a second-place finish. In all, she scored 29 of her team’s 37 points at state.
More about Megan
• Favorite book: “My favorite author is Stephen King. Probably ‘Insomnia.’ It’s nice to have a good scare every now and then.
• Favorite TV show: “Glee. It’s always fun, but is has that drama build-up, too.”
• Most influential person: My dad (Stuart). He gives me advice for what I should work on. He’s the most supportive person for my decision-making. He’s just always there for me.”
Next year and beyond
• Kelley, who graduated on Friday, will compete for Boise State. She expects to run the 400 and might even return to competing in the long jump.
“It has meant the world to me. It’s where I’ve met most of my friends. ... I have to say I’ve seen a lot of growth in myself.”
On the importance of track and field in her life.
Rest of All-Region team
• Anna Adamko, sr., Columbia River: Class 3A state champion in javelin (144-9).
• Charity Arn, sr., Woodland: 2A state runner-up in high jump (5-3); placed fourth in long jump.
• Jessica Bottelberghe, sr., Columbia River: Fifth at 3A state in 800 meters; sixth in 400 meters.
• Katrina Chamberlain, sr., La Center: 1A state champion in high jump; third in shot put; 4th 100 hurdles.
• Kathran Dean, jr., Mountain View: 3A state runner-up in long jump; 4th in triple jump; 8th 100.
• Jennifer DeBellis, jr., Columbia River: Class 3A state champion in pole vault.
• Lynelle Decker, jr., Mountain View: 3A state runner-up in 800 meters; 8th in 1,600 meters.
• Michelle Kiss, jr., Mountain View: Placed third at 3A state in high jump; 4th best mark for all classifications.
• Johna McEllrath, jr., Prairie: Placed fourth in 3A state in shot put; seventh in javelin; ninth discus.
• Rachel McQuivey, sr., Skyview: 4A state champion in 300 hurdles; runner-up in 100 hurdles.
• Sara Slayton, sr., Camas: Placed 4th in 3A state 300-meter hurdles; seventh in 100 hurdles.