Kelso family escapes house fire

Four residents, 14 pets get out safely

By

Published:

 

A family of four and 14 pets escaped unharmed Friday when a fire broke out at a home in Kelso, according to Cowlitz 2 Fire and Rescue.

The first arriving fire engine reported heavy smoke and flames visible from the rear of the house when they arrived, but fire crews were able to extinguish the flames within 5 minutes and kept the fire from spreading to the rest of the home.

No injuries were reported. The family's nine cats, two dogs and three guinea pigs were also unharmed, according to fire officials.

Two fire engines and a fire chief from Cowlitz 2 Fire and Rescue and an engine from Longview Fire managed the incident.

The fire is still under investigation but appears to have originated in the utility room possibly by the clothes dryer, according to fire officials. They estimate the family lost $40,000. in structural damage and belongings.