Hockinson soccer advances to final four

Hawks defeat Archbishop Murphy 3-2 to reach semis



EVERETT — Three goals in the first half-hour on Friday proved to be enough as the Hockinson boys soccer team reached the state semifinals for the first time.

The Hawks hurried to a 3-0 lead, then held off Archbishop Murphy of Everett for a 3-2 win in a Class 2A state quarterfinal match played at Mariner High School.

Hockinson (19-3) will play at 8 p.m. next Friday in the 2A semifinals at Sunset Chev Stadium at Sumner High School. In the semifinals, the Hawks will play the winner of today’s quarterfinal match between Fife and North Thurston of Lacey. The championship and third-place matches are on May 28 at Sumner.

Conner Thompson and Cotter Hamilton scored Hockinson goals on Friday and the Hawks also tallied on an own goal from Archbishop Murphy. Landon Roscoe had two assists and Hockinson goalkeeper Shamele Battan made 14 saves, including a big one late to preserve the victory.

The Hawks took a 1-0 lead 10 minutes into the match. A long punt by Battan led to a shot from Hamilton that bounced off the Wildcats’ goalkeeper and then was deflected into the goal by a defender.

In the 17th minute Thompson made it 2-0 off an assist from Roscoe, and in the 26th it was Hamilton converting a Roscoe set-up.

Hockinson coach Vic Oenning described the match as a tale of two halves. He said the Hawks’ midfield was in control of the match until about 10 minutes into the second half.

“We were just really dominating touches on the ball,” Oenning said. “The guys were flat out really on their game.”

Oenning said Archbishop Murphy moved a third player forward midway through the second half and gained momentum.

Alexis Magana had an unassisted goal in the 53rd minute for the Wildcats. He then assisted on a goal for Christian Thode that made the score 3-2 with 16 minutes remaining.

Oenning said Hockinson then changed formations, going from four to five players in the midfield, and regained its poise.

“It’s a sign of a seasoned team that we could settle down and hold on for the victory,” Oenning said.

With less than five minutes left, Battan made a save on a dangerous Archbishop Murphy free kick from just outside the top of the penalty area.

This is the first time Hockinson boys soccer has qualified for the state playoffs. If it wins next Friday, it will play for the 2A state title at 4 p.m. on May 28. The third-place match is at noon on May 28.

Today, three area teams will attempt to join Hockinson in soccer’s final four in games played at Doc Harris Stadium in Camas. At 1 p.m., the Papermakers host Sammamish for a Class 3A quarterfinal. In the Class 1A quarterfinals, White Salmon plays Seattle Christian at 3:15 p.m. and Ridgefield plays Cedar Park Christian at 5:30 p.m.