Substation fire causes power outage in Heisson
Electricity now back on for 1,162 customers
Friday, April 27, 2012
A substation fire reported in the Heisson neighborhood northeast of Battle Ground left more than 1,100 people without power for part of Friday morning.
The fire was reported at 10:12 a.m. as an outbuilding fire. A passerby apparently saw smoke coming from a concrete shed along Northeast 172nd Avenue near 279th Street. Crews later confirmed the fire had occurred at a Clark Public Utilities substation at that location.
Clark Public Utilities reported as many as 1,162 customers without power during the outage, according to spokeswoman Erica Erland. Electricity was restored within about an hour, she said. Erland added that the fire was caused by “faulty equipment” at the substation, but didn’t have any details.
Firefighters responded to the scene along 172nd Avenue. The fire was reported under control about 10:35 a.m.