Lit candle causes small fire in Vancouver apartment

By Paul Suarez, Columbian web producer

Published:

 

An unattended candle caused a small fire in a central Vancouver apartment Tuesday morning. No injuries were reported and damage was minimal, but things might not have ended so well, firefighters said.

“It could have been a lot worse,” said firefighter-paramedic Kevin Stromberg, a spokesman for the Vancouver Fire Department.

Firefighters responded to the reported fire at an apartment at 2623 Rossiter Lane around 6:40 a.m. The fire was out by the time they arrived.

The fire started after an adult woman fell asleep Monday night with a lit candle on top of a mini-fridge, Stromberg said. The woman woke up this morning and noticed the fire.

“She was very lucky that she woke up and was able to get herself and the other two young adults out of the apartment complex,” Stromberg said.

Stromberg said folks should never leave a lit candle unattended and should make sure smoke alarms are working.

Damage was minor and limited to the area around the candle but it could have spread, Stromberg said.