Letter: Ridgefield levy necessary

Published:

 

The proposed Ridgefield school levy is not a new tax but merely replaces an existing local levy that expires in 2013. Ridgefield, like other public schools, relies heavily on local taxes.

In Ridgefield, our local levy funds roughly 20 percent of total operating costs of the district. Currently, the district receives 80 percent of its operating expenses from state and federal sources. The local community pays the remaining 20 percent to keep the schools operating and providing necessary educational programs. Drama, athletics, maintenance, transportation, STEM, textbooks, technology, CISPUS, para-educators, and utilities are funded by levy dollars. Local levy funds pay for programs that are critical to student success.

We must continue investment in our children's future by funding these critical needs. The Ridgefield School District provides a high-quality education as can be witnessed by recently released test scores when compared with results both county- and statewide. Ridgefield is fiscally responsible and has the lowest levy rate in Clark County. I ask for your continued support of the levy so that we can maintain Ridgefield's mission of "Community Schools with Great Results."

Scott Gullickson

Ridgefield