PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- Portland fire investigators have determined that improperly discarded smoking material started a fire at a condominium complex that injured two firefighters, displaced eight residents and caused almost $1 million damage.
The specific type of smoking material has not been released.
Fire Bureau spokesman Paul Corah says Wednesday's blaze started in a plastic container on the porch and spread to six condominium units.
One of the injured firefighters suffered burns to his knee, ear and hand; the other burned a hand and broke the other.
Another firefighter fell through the roof, but was not hurt.