Fire in oven causes $6K damage to Camas home
Thursday, September 27, 2012
A kitchen fire that started in the oven caused an estimated $6,000 damage at a Camas home Thursday.
The oven at the home at 20220 S.E. Fernridge Drive had been set to self-clean mode when flames started coming out of the stove top at about 1:14 p.m., said Dave James, spokesman for the Vancouver Fire Department.
Originally, just two engines were dispatched to the fire, but it was upgraded to a full-alarm fire when crews heard the fire had spread to the cupboards.
Both the Camas-Washougal and Vancouver fire departments responded. By the time Vancouver firefighters arrived, smoke was coming out of the front door, but the family had extinguished the fire.
Damage to the gas range oven and surrounding cabinets is estimated at $6,000, James said. There was light smoke damage throughout the house.
A specialized insurance investigator will have to check out the oven and figure out why it failed, he said.