Tonight, Vancouver will celebrate National Night Out, an event where neighbors can get to know each other and learn about crime prevention. Vancouver police will visit neighborhood associations throughout the city to meet neighbors.
City departments, local businesses and neighborhood associations will offer activities downtown in Esther Short Park from 5 to 9 p.m. for neighborhoods that haven’t planned their own event. Those park attractions include:
• The Vancouver Police Department’s armored vehicle, called the Bearcat, and the Skywatch Tower.
• The Vancouver Fire Department’s Fire Prevention Trailer.
• Clark Public Utilities will be giving out compact fluorescent lights for porch lights.
• Bad Monkey Bikes will be giving out stickers for their Monkey Shield bicycle theft prevention program.
• A large bounce house for kids provided by the Vancouver Downtown Association.
• Fruit Valley neighbors and Neighbors on Watch will be doing fingerprinting for kids.
• Ice Cream from Umpqua Bank.
• Live music provided by the Esther Short Neighborhood Association.
• A “pay as you play” bungee trampoline with proceeds going to the Police Activities League.