Pizzeria chimney fire
A fire in a pizza oven’s chimney created did only minor damage at an east Vancouver restaurant on Saturday but will force the business to close for a few days for repairs, according to the Vancouver Fire Department.
The fire at Juliano’s Pizzeria, 15606 S.E. Mill Plain Blvd., was reported about 1:20 p.m. after a passer-by alerted employees to a large volume of smoke from the restaurant’s chimney.
The restaurant’s manager used a chemical fire extinguisher on the fire as smoke began to back up into the business. Diners had been evacuated into a parking lot before fire crews arrived.
Vancouver Fire Capt. Scott Willis said crews were initially concerned the fire might have spread to an attic area but found nothing other than a small amount of fire damage to the roof.
Danny Cressman, the restaurant’s manager, said Juliano’s will be closed a few days for repairs.