Dorothy Fox Elementary evacuated for smoke in portable unit

Students were making candles at Camas school

By Emily Gillespie, Columbian breaking news reporter

Published:

Updated: June 18, 2013, 9:28 PM

 
Dorothy Fox Elementary

Dorothy Fox Elementary School in Camas was evacuated briefly Tuesday morning after smoke caused the fire alarm to go off in a portable classroom.

Fire personnel were dispatched to the school, 2623 N.W. Sierra St., just after 9 a.m., where firefighters found no fire.

Students were doing a project with a teacher that involved making candles as they did in the colonial era, Battalion Chief Larry Larimer said.

The school was evacuated while fire personnel used fans to clear the smoke from the room. Students returned to class a short time later.