Isaiah Smith singled home the winning run to cap a three-run seventh inning to lead Battle Ground to a 6-5 win over Skyview in a Class 4A Greater St. Helens League game on Tuesday.
The victory kept the Tigers one-game behind Union in the 4A GSHL standings. Battle Ground plays at Union on Wednesday as the Titans look to clinch the league title.
Skyview scored two in the sixth to take a 4-3 lead and added a run in the seventh before the Tigers rallied to win it.
Michael Spellacy went 2 for 3 with three runs and pitched the final 12/3 innings to earn the win. Hayden Humphrey went 2 for 3 with two runs.
Stars of the day
- Joel Worden, Hockinson baseball, went 3 for 3 with a two-run home run in a 9-0 win over Ridgefield.
- Michelle Brincefield, Skyview softball, struck out eight and threw a one-hitter against previously unbeaten Camas. The Storm topped the Papermakers 8-0. (For more on this game, see The Columbian’s high school sports blog via 360preps.com)
- Reilly Hennessey, Camas baseball, went 4 for 5 with a double and drove in two runs in a 14-12, eight-inning win over Evergreen. The victory clinched a playoff berth for the Papermakers.
- Jordan Shaw, Prairie softball, hit a two-run home run in a win over Columbia River.
- Edwin Duran, Fort Vancouver boys soccer, scored both goals with assists from Jesus Cortez as the Trappers beat Kelso 2-0 for their first win of the season.
- Joel Aguilar, Prairie boys soccer, scored twice as the Falcons outscored 3A GSHL-leading Mountain View 4-3.
- Sam Razumouskiy, Washougal boys soccer, scored the only goal in a 1-0 win over Hockinson with an assist from his brother Elesey Razumouskiy.
- Trevor Huddleston, Woodland baseball, went 3 for 3 with a home, run, a triple and four RBI in the second game of a doubleheader sweep of Stevenson that clinched the Trico League championship for the unbeaten Beavers.
- Alex Firl, La Center boys soccer, scored four goals as the Wildcats defeated Woodland 4-0.
- E’Lon Mack, Heritage boys track and field, won the 100 and 200 meters as the Timberwolves edged Camas 73-72.
- Maddie Landford, Skyview girls track and field, won the 100 hurdles and 300 hurdles as Skyview beat Battle Ground.
- Raigan Page, Ridgefiled girls track and field, won the 100, 200 and 400 meters as the Spudders beat Washougal.
- Jason Bracken, Prairie boys track and field, won the discus and the high jump and Prairie defeated Columbia River.
- Chase Duey, Washougal soccer, recorded 12 saves as the Panthers shut out Hockinson 1-0.