McLoughlin Middle School administrators found no intentional wrongdoing among the 10 students who were sickened by a spicy Mexican candy last week, according to Pat Nuzzo, spokeswoman for Vancouver Public Schools.
Several students brought Jovy Acirrico Fire Chili with Lemon to school on Feb. 11, Nuzzo said. In total, 10 students between the ages of 11 and 13 got sick from the powdered mixture of chili powder, salt and lemon flavoring.
Dr. Jack Stump, an emergency department physician at PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center in Vancouver, treated five of the children. Stump said the kids swallowed the powder and then experienced nausea and abdominal pain; one child vomited.
Within two days, all the students returned to school.