The Washougal School District Board of Directors and Washougal Association of Educators have ratified a new two-year contract, which includes a 5.4 percent pay increase through the next two years, along with a state-funded 4.8 percent cost of living adjustment, for a total increase of 10.2 percent.
“Our contract is more competitive now with neighboring school districts,” Washougal Superintendent Mike Stromme said Wednesday.
The two sides started working on the new contract in June, and had help in the form of three mediated sessions from the state Public Employment Relations Commission while hammering out the new contract.
One issue discussed throughout negotiations was TRI (time, responsibility and incentive) pay, which covers time spent outside the classroom for things like grading papers and planning. The new contract offers additional paid time for teacher training, recognizes increases in workload and fully implements the new state teacher evaluation system. The full agreement will be posted on the district’s website after copies are distributed to association members.
Under the old contract, Washougal teachers made between $38,000 and $71,000 per year in total compensation, plus $9,360 in district contributions to health benefits.