Deputies are investigating a death associated with a fire that destroyed a mobile home north of La Center.
Neighbors called 911 at about 12:30 a.m. Tuesday after they reported hearing an explosion and seeing flames at a residence at 1505 N.W. 379th St., according to the Clark County Sheriff’s Office and the Clark County Fire Marshal’s Office.
Crews with Clark County Fire & Rescue arrived to find a single-wide mobile home engulfed in flames, agency spokesman Tim Dawdy said.
Crews aggressively attacked the blaze but were unable to save the structure or contents, Dawdy said.
While crews were doing mop-up, they found an adult’s body, he said.
The deceased person’s remains were to be handed over to the Clark County Medical Examiner’s Office to determine the person’s identity, as well as the cause and manner of death, Dawdy said.
Dawdy said the sheriff’s office was also investigating.
Deputy Fire Marshal Susan Anderson said there was no indication of foul play involved, but investigators could not find what sparked the fire.
“The fire damage was so significant that a definitive origin and cause could not be determined,” she said.
Anderson said two adults, including the person found, shared the home.
She added there was no indication an explosion caused the fire, and said the sound neighbors heard likely came from propane tanks, compressed gas cylinders or aerosol cans bursting in the fire.