Alexis Leone led a team of runners from Whisper Running club of Vancouver by placing second out of 159 runners in her division at the USATF Junior Olympic Cross Country Championships held Dec. 12-13 at Paris, Kentucky.
Leone, a Seton Catholic High freshman, ran the girls 13-14 4,000-meter race in 14 minutes, 47 seconds. Leone won her wave, racing to the lead in the back half of the 2.4-mile race. But she posted the second-fast time in the two waves that were run because of COVID-19 protocols.
Nicholas Marty, a Toledo senior, placed eighth out of 155 runners in the boys 15-18 5,000-meter race in 15:49. Joseph Blanshan, a La Center sophomore, placed 19th in 16:10.
Other Whisper Running competitors included:
- Girls 9-10 3,000 — Megan Garl (King’s Way Christian School) 82nd of 112 in 14:53.
- Girls 11-12 3,000 — Kaydie Boettcher (Hockinson MS) 105th of 170 in 13:34.
- Girls 13-14 4,000 — Evelyn Reed (Thomas Jefferson MS) 41st in 16:28; Addison Crum (La Center MS) 64th in 16:50.
- Girls 15-18 5,000 — Charlotte Wilson (Union HS) 26th of 103 in 19:38.
- Boys 11-12 3,000 — Cohen Butler (Liberty MS, Camas) 35th of 174 in 11:33.
- Boys 13-14 4,000 — Treyton Marty (Toledo MS) 154th of 170 in 17:34.
- Boys 15-18 5,000 — Lorenzo Anguiano (Evergreen HS) 117th in 18:35.