Monday, April 12, 2021
April 12, 2021

Linkedin Pinterest

Electrical issue involving extension cords, surge protector caused west Vancouver house fire

Fire displaced family of three and killed a pet cat

By , Columbian Assistant Metro Editor
Published:

A Christmas Day fire that damaged a west Vancouver house was caused by an electrical issue involving extension cords and a surge protector, according to the Vancouver Fire Marshal’s Office.

The fire displaced a family of three and killed a pet cat.

Vancouver Fire Marshal Heidi Scarpelli said the fire was deemed accidental.

The fire was reported at about 4:50 p.m. at 610 W. 37th St. According to the Vancouver Fire Department, the first engine to arrive located a small fire in a living area, and firefighters were able to quickly extinguish it from the outside.

Firefighters then made entry and searched the house, but no one was home. A woman and two children younger than 10 live in the home. One of the family’s cats died; the other could not be located and may have escaped.

The entire house sustained smoke damage. The American Red Cross is providing assistance.

Scarpelli said the property and contents loss from the fire was estimated to be $206,064.

Six fire apparatus from the Vancouver Fire Department and one from Clark County Fire District 6 were on scene.

Loading...

Commenting is no longer available on Columbian.com. Please visit our Facebook page to leave comments on local stories.