It’s hard to imagine the Union boys basketball team having a better non-league season.
Let’s run down the list of the Titans’ accomplishments in the first five weeks of the season.
- They have won all 12 games.
- They have wins over both 2019 Class 4A state finalists.
- They have averaged 85 points a game.
- Their 12 wins have come by an average of 35 points.
- They won a holiday tournament championship.
- One of their players broke the school record for 3-pointers in a game.
- They are the No. 1 team in the state according to the WIAA’s RPI rankings … by a substantial margin.
The only thing that could have made that start of the season any better is if the Titans had managed to squeeze in a trip to Disneyland.
No, wait. They did that too.
To race out to their 12-0 start, the Titans have implemented their version of the Fast Pass.
“I’ve been really impressed at how the guys have bought into a new approach we are taking this year,” Union coach Blake Conley said. “We’re bringing pressure and playing faster. We’ve always played fast, but this year we’re going even faster. The guys have accepted that this is how we can be successful.”