Seven people and four pets were displaced after a cigarette butt sparked a house fire Thursday in Vancouver’s Carter Park neighborhood.
The Vancouver Fire Department responded shortly after 8:15 a.m. to 710 W. 32nd St. Six units responded initially, and the battalion chief called for two more units when a caller reported people might still be inside, according to a fire department news release. Clark County Fire District 6 also responded.
When crews arrived, they found flames coming from the back of the house, and a nearby RV was also on fire, the fire department said. All of the residents were outside of the house.
After 25 minutes, crews got the fire under control, but hot spots continued to burn in concealed spaces, the news release states.
The Vancouver Fire Marshal’s Office determined the fire was caused by improper disposal of a cigarette, according to a Vancouver Fire Department Facebook post. The department reminds people to dispose of cigarettes in a noncombustible container, preferably with water inside.
The Red Cross helped six adults, one child and four pets who were displaced. No one was injured, the fire department said.
Crews remained on scene for nearly three hours.