Alex Mora pitched a one-hitter as La Center baseball edged Eatonville 3-2 in the first round of the 1A district tournament on Monday at Castle Rock.
The Wildcats (14-6) will face Evergreen Conference champion Montesano in the semifinals on Tuesday in Hoquiam. The winner will clinch a state berth.
La Center rallied with two runs in the bottom of the fifth. Levi Giles doubled, then scored on a ground out. Caden Taylor then hit a two-out RBI single, his second hit of the day.
Trico League champion King’s Way Chrisian stumbled in its first-round game, losing to Elma 5-1.
Seton Catholic lost 4-1 to Tenino.
The Knights and Cougars must win three loser-out games to reach state.
Stars of the day
- Emma Jenkins, Mark Morris softball, went 4 for 4 with four RBI, a triple and a double in a 18-3 win over Fort Vancouver.
- Payton Kessler, Castle Rock softball, allowed one hit over seven innings, striking out 11 and went 3 for 4 at the plate in a 5-3 win over King’s Way.
- Skylar Groesbeck, Skyview softball, hit a three-run home run to key an eight-run fourth inning in a 10-0 win over Camas.
- Kylie Stroup, Heritage softball, went 4 for 6 with five RBI and a home run in a 27-12 win over Mountain View.
- Rylee Wall, Prairie softball, went 3 for 3 and was the winning pitcher in a 12-2 victory over Evergreen that clinched the 3A Greater St. Helens League title outright for the Falcons.
- Elizabeth Peery, Ridgefield softball, had 12 strikeouts and went 2 for 3 with two RBI in a 5-3 win over Hockinson.
- Bella Aspaas, Hockinson softball, went 2 for 3 with two home runs and 3 RBI in a 5-3 loss to Ridgefield.
- Gabi Silveria, Woodland softball, went 4 for 4 with two doubles and a triple in a 21-2 win over Hudson’s Bay.
- Grace Phillips, Hockinson girls golf, shot 90 to win the 2A Greater St. Helens League individual title at Mint Valley in Longview.
- Rylee Rehbein, Battle Ground softball, pitched a three-hitter, striking out 11 and walking none in a 1-0 win over Union.