Maddie Milhorn had 11 strikeouts and allowed just two hits as Skyview softball beat Union 2-0 in a duel between two of the area’s top pitchers.
McKinley Ermshar also had 11 strikeouts for Union and allowed three hits.
Skyview scored both its runs in the bottom of the fourth. Samantha Groesbeck scored from third on a bunt by Lainey Phillips. Madi Scull then followed with an RBI double to score Phillips.
Skyview, which finished second in the Class 4A state tournament last year, remained unbeaten on the season. The Storm are 14-0 overall and 6-0 in the Class 4A Greater St. Helens League.
Union fell to 8-3 overall and 3-2 in league play.
Stars of the day
- Alex Harris, Columbia River boys soccer, scored a hat trick in a 7-0 win over Mark Morris. His second goal was the senior’s 100th of his high school career.
- Boston Jensen, Camas baseball, allows two earned runs and strikeout nine with no walks over 6.2 innings, then singles home the winning run in the bottom of the 10th as Camas beat Skyview 3-2 in 10 innings.
- Dylan Osborne, Union baseball, allowed four earned runs in four innings and struck out seven, then added a triple and three RBI for Union, which secured the No. 2 seed from the 4A GSHL to the 4A District 3/4 tournament with a 10-6 win over Battle Ground.
- Houston Coyle, La Center baseball, went 4 for 6 with three runs and two RBI in the doubleheader sweep over King’s Way Christian.
- Brody Bonife, Hockinson baseball, went 3 for 3 with three runs, a double and six RBI in a 19-8 win over Woodland.
- Joey Roeper, Hudson’s Bay boys soccer, the goalkeeper had a shutout in regulation then helped the Eagles win a penalty kick shootout over Washougal 5-4.
- Igor Povazhniuk, Hockinson boys soccer, had a goal and an assist as the Hawks broke a scoreless halftime deadlock and beat Ridgefield 4-0.
- Macee Barnes, Columbia-White Salmon softball, went 8 for 8 with six RBI, five runs scored three doubles and a triple as the Bruins swept Seton Catholic in a doubleheader, 14-2 and 10-0.
- Autumn Gaudet, King’s Way Christian softball, went 6 for 7 with a home run, a double and nine RBI as the Knights swept a doubleheader from La Center, 15-3 and 25-4.
- Jared Williams, Camas boys track and field, threw an area season best of 172-4 to win the javelin.
- Eric Botnen, Skyview track and field, had the unusual double win in the 200 and discus in a win over Battle Ground.
- Dea Covarrubias, Skyview track and field, won the 100, 200 and then anchored the winning 4×400 relay in a meet vs. Battle Ground.
- Josie Settle, Kelso girls track and field, won the 100, 200 and long jump — a 3A state-best long jump of 18-7.25 in a meet with Prairie.
- Zieynita Stidum, Hockinson girls track and field, won the 100, 200 and anchors two winning relays for Hockinson as the Hawks edges Fort Vancouver by two points.