<img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=192888919167017&amp;ev=PageView&amp;noscript=1">
Tuesday,  June 25 , 2024

Linkedin Pinterest
News / Life / Clark County Life

This week in Clark County history

By Katie Bush, public historian at the Clark County Historical Museum
Published: December 22, 2023, 5:07am

A weekly look back compiled by the Clark County Historical Museum from The Columbian archives available at columbian.newspapers.com or at the museum.

  • 100 years ago

Vancouver Chamber of Commerce Secretary C.C. Hutchins announced on Dec. 20, 1923, that the city would be increasing its “list of industrial activities” with the firm of C.M. Colson Inc., manufacturer of toilet articles and druggists’ supplies. The Vancouver outpost, located in a leased space on Third and Main streets, would be a warehouse and distribution center, employing around six workers with plans to hire more in the future.

  • 75 years ago

Camas’ Crown Zellerbach corporation began a restoration project of 4,500 acres in Washington and Oregon on Dec. 21, 1948. The company restocked its tree farms by helicopter seeding, as well as hand-seeding and hand-planting. Replete with 1,700 pounds of “seed of several tree species,” Crown Zellerbach’s helicopter restocked nearly 1,200 acres in Washington alone.

  • 50 years ago

A Dec. 19, 1973, Washougal City Council meeting focused on Mayor Ralph Hootman’s “lights out” policy, which turned off 26 percent of the streetlights as an energy-saving measure, was a lightening rod for citizens. Complaints about safety, and adjacent cities that kept their lights, put the spotlight on Washougal city leaders.

  • 25 years ago

On Dec. 22, 1998, Port of Vancouver commissioners told taxpayers they were on the hook for another $480,000 to clean up “extra contamination found at the old Fort Vancouver Plywood site.” The newly discovered contamination was found 6 feet deeper than originally estimated. An abandoned oil heating tank was also discovered near the site. The Port of Vancouver and the Department of Ecology split the cost of the project, which totaled nearly $2.5 million.

Loading...