Alex Harris scored a hat trick as Columbia River boys soccer beat Hockinson 3-1 in a clash of 2A Greater St. Helens League unbeatens on Tuesday.
Two of those goals were set up by long throw-ins into the area directly in front of the goal. The first gave the Rapids a 2-1 lead with 15 minutes to play. The second put the game away with three minutes left.
Both teams entered Tuesday 5-0 in the 2A GSHL. Hockinson took the upper-hand early on a penalty kick, but Columbia River pulled even as Harris scored on a free kick 10 minutes before halftime.
Columbia River goalkeeper Cam Harris made four saves, none bigger than when he stopped a penalty kick to keep the score tied with 20 minutes to play.
Stars of the day
- Lucas Peterson, Seton Catholic baseball, had 10 strikeouts and allowed one hit over 5.1 innings as the Cougars beat Castle Rock 7-2 in the opener of a doubleheader.
- Braeden Bellus, Hockinson baseball, went 2 for 4 with two doubles and four RBI in a 16-0 win over Fort Vancouver.
- Nae Stalcup, Prairie softball, hit two 3-run homers and also a double to help power Prairie past Kelso 13-9 in 3A Greater St. Helens League action.
- Leon Le, Kelso baseball, went 2 for 2 with a double and two RBI in a 14-0 win over Heritage.
- Nate Merritt, Prairie baseball, went 2 for 3 including a double that led-off a four-run sixth inning in a 6-4 win over Mountain View.
- Rylee Rehbein, Battle Ground softball, hit a solo and three-run home run plus had a double in the Tigers’ 9-0 win over Camas. Rehbein also struck out nine batters in four innings.
- Topher Anderson, Union baseball, went 2 for 3 with a double and two RBI as the Titans beat Parkrose (Ore.) 10-0 to improve to 6-1.
- Justin Wu, King’s Way Christian baseball, went 3 for 4 with three runs scored, three RBI, three stolen bases and was the winning pitcher as the Knights beat Stevenson 13-3 to complete a doubleheader sweep.
- Landon Kelsey, Ridgefield boys track and field, won the long jump, triple jump and 110 meter hurdles in a meet against Washougal and R.A. Long.
- Pablo Sanchez Barbosa, Heritage boys soccer, scored two goals in a 3-0 win over Prairie.
- Garik Shevchuk, Union boys soccer, scored twice in a 6-0 win over Battle Ground.