Carson Gilligan’s two-out single in the fourth inning scored Marcus Whitney for the game’s only run as the King’s Way Christian baseball team clinched a berth to state with its 1-0 win over Elma in the 1A district winner-to-state game Friday at Castle Rock.
Derek Tarnoski scattered six hits with three strikeouts and a walk over seven innings for the Knights (13-10).
After a lead off single to open the fifth inning, Tarnoski retired the next nine Elma batters in order to help seal the victory.
Whitney was 2 for 3 with a double and a stolen base for the Knights.
TENINO 5, SETON CATHOLIC 4 — The Cougars’ season came to an end with the loss to Tenino, which clinched a berth to state with the victory at Castle Rock.
Down 5-1, Seton scored two runs in the sixth and one in the seventh, but couldn’t get any more runs across.
2A DISTRICT: TUMWATER 1, WOODLAND 0 — The season came to an end for the Beavers with the loss at Tumwater in the winner-to-state match. No other details were reported.
4A DISTRICT TOURNAMENT — It’s an all-Camas singles and doubles final Saturday at Club Green Meadows.
Top seed and defending state champion Hailey Kerker will play teammate Joy Young for the singles title.
Taryn Kerker and Fiona Zou will play Sophia Rundle and Lena Trieu in the doubles final.
The top three placers in singles and doubles qualify for Wednesday and Thursday’s bi-district tournament at Boeing Employees Tennis Center in Kent.
3A DISTRICT TOURNAMENT — Top seed Elsa Bice of Prairie reached the singles final at Vancouver Tennis Center, where she will play Susan Hong of Mountain View.
Hong came from a set down to win her semifinal 0-6, 7-5, 6-3 over Dani Delgado-Garcia of Evergreen.
The doubles final will be Brynn DeSantis and Lexi Frost of Mountain View against Amelia Nelson and Hollyn Anderson of Prairie.
The top three placers advance to bi-district next Friday and Saturday, also at the Boeing courts.
Stars of the day
- Gabi Silveria, Woodland softball, was 2 for 5 with a three-run home run and scored two runs as the Beavers beat Mark Morris 7-4.
- Charlie Varney, Hockinson softball, went 2 for 3 with three RBI as the Hawks beat Fort Vancouver 13-2.
- Tava Whitlow, Ridgefield softball, was 2 for 2 with a double, home run and four RBI in the Spudders’ 15-0 win over Hudson’s Bay.
- Maggie Bryan, Columbia-White Salmon softball, had a double and knocked in five runs in a 15-0 win over La Center.
- Kiera Crate, King’s Way Christian softball, was 4 for 4 with a double, two home runs and seven RBI in a 17-2 win over Stevenson in the first game of a doubleheader. She was 1 for 3 with a triple and two RBI in the second-game win.
- Grace Wickum, King’s Way Christian softball, went 4 for 4 with a double, RBI and scored three runs as the Knights swept Stevenson with a 13-3 second-game victory.
- Autumn Gaudet, King’s Way Christian softball, was a combined 7 for 7 with three home runs, seven RBI and five runs scored in the doubleheader against Stevenson.