<img height="1" width="1" style="display:none" src="https://www.facebook.com/tr?id=192888919167017&amp;ev=PageView&amp;noscript=1">
Saturday,  June 15 , 2024

Linkedin Pinterest
News / Life / Clark County Life

This week in Clark County history, April 26

By — Katie Bush, public historian at the Clark County Historical Museum
Published: April 26, 2024, 6:00am

A weekly look back compiled by the Clark County Historical Museum from The Columbian archives available at columbian.newspapers.com or at the museum.

  • 100 years ago

The schedule for Vancouver’s Twilight League was announced April 23, 1924. Comprised of eight teams, the 14-week baseball season would start on April 29 and run through Aug. 1. The league invited Mayor N. E. Allen to throw out the first pitch on opening day, after “a parade of the players, with a band at the head of the procession.” The inaugural game would be a double-header, with the Marcell Cubs versus the Moose, followed by the Paper Mill taking on the Legion.

  • 75 years ago

On April 22, 1949, Inland Air Lines announced it would land a plane at Pearson Field, its “initial orientation flight for a proposed air service between Vancouver and southeast Washington.” The company was navigating issues with the airfield, as well as “other legal difficulties,” but hoped to begin service the first week of May. The public would be able to inspect the plane, a Lockheed Lodestar, after it landed at Pearson.

  • 50 years ago

Clark College’s new recycling center opened April 22, 1974. It replaced a smaller recycling center that shut down around two years prior. Clark County businesses, including Alcoa, donated money to construct the updated facility. Around 150 individuals attended the event, which took place on Earth Day. Staff and students even brought “bundles of recyclables as ceremonial offerings.”

  • 25 years ago

On April 26, 1999, Clark County officials announced they would likely have to take down a unique local landmark: the Rainbow House. Previously owned by Lloyd “Ace” Parsons, the county purchased the brightly colored abode earlier in the month. The house “drew the attention of tourists, television cameras and even ‘Ripley’s Believe It Or Not.’” Shortly after purchasing the home in 1972, Parsons began painting the exterior with yellow, blue, red and green spray paint. The interior was “the real shocker,” filled with displays of lights, mirrors, magnets, dolls, “and a thousand other doodads and trinkets.” The passing of his wife and health issues led Parsons to sell the home to the county.

Loading...