Prep notes: Locals shine in BorderDuals
Wednesday, June 6, 2012
Tanner Sork was not the only local track and field athlete to excel at the BorderDuals meet on Saturday at Lewis & Clark College in Portland.
Sork set the Washington state record for the 800 meters with a time of 1:48.74.
Among other top results:
• Union's Joe Thompson won the pole vault by clearing 15 feet, 9 inches.
• Heritage's Sean Keller won the javelin with a throw of 213-9, which was a meet record (bettering 191-1 by Sam Crouser in 2008) and a stadium record for high school athletes (210-8 by Michael Davis of King's in 2006).
• Evergreen's Sabrina Sears won the 1,500 with a meet-record time of 4:38.73. (The old record of 4:48.26 was set last year.)
• Columbia River's Jennifer DeBellis (3A state pole vault champ) and Anandae Clark (1A champ from Lakeside-Nine Mile Falls) both cleared 12-3.
• Camas' Camille Parsons and Lindsay Wourms finished 2nd and 4th in the 3,000. Delaney Tiernan of Tahoma won in 10:24.76. Parsons' time was 10:25.36 and Wourms' 10:34.49.
• Washougal's Isaac Stinchfield was fourth in the 2,000 steeplechase with a time of 6:18.74.
All-state baseball games this weekend
The All-State baseball games are scheduled for Saturday and Sunday in Yakima, and there are five Clark County players on the rosters.
The Team Adams roster includes Camas' Austin Barr and Nate Lauritzen.
The Team Baker roster has Mountain View's Zach Torson.
The Team St. Helens roster has Camas' Nathan Culver.
The Team Rainier roster has Hudson's Bay's Buck Hale.
Games on Saturday are at noon and 3:15 p.m. and Sunday's games are 10:25 a.m. and 1:35 p.m.
Spring academic state champions
Three Clark County programs earned academic state championships for the spring season.
Evergreen's girls golf team won a 4A title with a team GPA of 3.851, which was the best of any girls golf team at any classification in the state. Evergreen is coached by John Ferrell.
King's Way Christian had two academic state champions -- girls tennis and girls track and field.
The girls tennis team topped 1B with a 3.785 GPA