A fire that started Sunday evening in a grain elevator at United Grain was unintentional and caused no damage other than business interruption, Vancouver Fire Marshal Heidi Scarpelli said after reviewing logs kept by the Vancouver Fire Department.
It took about an hour and a half for crews to extinguish the fire, reported at 7:08 p.m. at 1905 N.W. Harborside Drive at the Port of Vancouver, according to emergency radio traffic monitored at The Columbian. The flames were contained to two legs of the elevator.
Scarpelli said it’s not unusual for small, unintentional fires to spark at United Grain from time to time, and in the past such fires have been caused by hot equipment coming into contact with grain, or by an electrical problem.