Wyatt Partridge rushed for 294 yards as Castle Rock set up a showdown with La Center last week by starting quickly and finishing with a flourish in a 46-23 Trico League win over Seton Catholic on Saturday.
The Rockets (7-1, 4-0) will face La Center (7-0, 3-0) for the Trico League championship on Friday in Castle Rock.
The Rockets got on the board quickly when Partridge rushed for 80 yards on his first two carries, the latter being 49-yard touchdown run.
After recovering an onside kick, the Rockets scored five plays later when Austin McQuilliams caught a 9-yard touchdown pass from Chance Naugle, and the Rockets led 13-0 just 1:43 into the game.
After taking a 26-9 lead into halftime, Partridge’s third touchdown run of the day gave Castle Rock a 34-9 lead.
But Seton Catholic would not go quietly.
The Cougars drove 89 yards and 87 yards on their next two possessions for touchdowns. Luke Pitzer’s 4-yard touchdown run cut Seton’s deficit to 34-23 with 6:47 to play in the game.
But then the Rockets gave the ball back to Partridge. His fourth touchdown run — this one from 21 yards out — put the Rockets up 40-23.
After recovering its second onside kick of the day, Castle Rock sealed the game away on Chance Rusher’s 11-yard touchdown run.
- After Seton closed within 34-23 in the fourth quarter, Castle Rock drove 48 yards on five plays — Partridge rushed for 56 yards (Castle Rock had a penalty) — to take control back.
- Castle Rock attempted five onside kicks against Seton, recovering two.
- The Rockets were stung by penalties, being flagged 10 times for 91 yards and negating a couple of big plays.
- Wyatt Partridge, Castle Rock: The senior’s 294 yards and four touchdowns rushing gave him a region-best 1,867 yard and 19 touchdowns. He’ll need 133 yards next week against La Center to reach the 2,000-yard mark. He has not been held to under 145 yards in any game this season.
- Landon Gardner, Castle Rock: Gardner caught three passes for 45 yards and returned an interception 49 yards for a touchdown.
- Lance Stuck, Seton Catholic: Stuck caught seven passes for 116 yards and one touchdown and he had an interception on defense.
CASTLE ROCK 46, SETON CATHOLIC 23
CRock 13 13 8 12–46
Seton 3 6 6 8—23
CR — Wyatt Partridge 49 run (Paul Waldman kick)
CR — Austin McQuilliams 9 pass from Chance Naugle (kick failed)
SC — Christian Martin 32 FG
CR — Partridge 5 run (Waldman kick)
CR — Landon Gardner 49 interception return (kick failed)
SC — Lance Stuck 46 pass from Sean Emberlin (run failed)
CR — Partridge 3 run (Jaden Behrendson pass from Naugle)
SC — Isaac Washington 2 run (kick failed)
SC — Luke Pitzer 4 run (Pitzer run)
CR — Partridge 21 run (kick blocked)
CR — Chase Rusher 11 run (kick blocked)
RUSHING — Castle Rock: Partridge 18-294, Naugle 4-12, McQuilliams 6-14, Rusher 3-36, Behrendson 1-10, team 1-(-2). Seton Catholic: Pitzer 17-50, Washington 11-45, Emberlin 4-14, Dax Clifton 3-14, Nolan Hannam 6-55, Stuck 1-(-5).
PASSING — Castle Rock: Naugle 6-12-1-80. Seton Catholic: Pitzer 16-23-2-160, Emberlin 1-1-0-46.
RECEIVING — Castle Rock: Gardner 3-45, McQuilliams 2-20, Partridge 1-15. Seton Catholic: Stuck 7-116, Griffin Young 5-52, Clifton 2-28, Washington 2-9, Emberlin 1-1.